OSR Let's make Shadowdark classes!

kapars

Adventurer
Monk:

Hit die:d6
Armor:None
Weapons:None

A naked pilgrim descends into darkness, a living statue stands fast in defiance of a despot, a craftsman faces down a mob with the tools of their trade.

Asceticism: Your armor class equals 11 + half your open gear slots rounded down.

Meditation: You may make a Wisdom check to replicate the effects of the following items : Rations (self only), Torches. If the check fails, you must rest before attempting Mediation for an item type.

Mastery: You may use any part of your body as a club (see weapons). You may wield the following as weapons with the stated properties:
Arrows, Crossbow bolts, Iron Spikes as Daggers
Pole: As Stave or Staff when sundered (see cursed scroll #3)

Any weapon used with Mastery has the Finesse property.

Talents: (Duplicate 2 - Reroll)
2: Meditation applies to lamps, oil
3-6: +2 to STR, DEX, WIS
7-9: +1 to Attack rolls and Damage
10-11: ADV on meditation checks for 1 chosen item
12: Choose talent or +2 to ability

Note: No DEX bonus to AC

Last edited:

monk.jpg

Here's my stab at monk with no multiattack.

kapars

Adventurer
I've gotten feedback on the Discord that there needs to be a clear class identity (i feel it does) or reason to pick this monk over Priest (I agree). The Talent Roll 2 is also not clear in that it gives you double near light and the ability to create a fire that burns x rounds like oil does. I was focused on making it clear you don't need the items but I'm going to restate some of the abilities as their equivalent spells and make the meditation ability scale more. It currently gives you the ability of a level 1 and level 3? (create food and water) spell. The player can then deduce that they don't need the items and win armor class as an effect.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Murderhobo

Adventurers, reavers and cutpurses seeking gold and glory -- but mostly gold.

Weapons: Club, crossbow, dagger, mace, shortbow, shortsword, spear, staff

Armor: Leather armor, chainmail armor, mithril chainmail and shields

Hit Points: 1d6 per level

Alignment: Neutral or Chaotic.

Anything that's not nailed down. Add your level to your gear slots.

Metal detector. You have advantage when attempting to find items of value or randomly generating treasure.

One step ahead of the law. You have advantage when trying to escape pursuit.

Murderhobo talents
2d6 Effect

2 Obtain a random treasure from the treasure table equal to your level
3-6 +1 to melee or ranged attacks
7-9 +2 to Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution stat
10-11 Choose one kind of armor. You get +1 AC from that armor
12 Obtain two random treasures from the treasure table one level below your level

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I thought about giving murderhobos an XP bonus for treasure, but since they'll already be bringing home more loot than their peers, and thus XP, that seemed like gilding the lily.

kapars

Adventurer
Is this getting better or worse?

Monk:

Hit die:d6
Armor:None
Weapons:None

Pilgrims that want no treasure but the thrill of the find, a rebel bounding rooftops with intercepted plans, an unarmed assassin smiling at the gate guards.

Asceticism: Your armor class equals 11 + half your open gear slots rounded down. Your Gear slots equal 10 or DEX, whichever higher.

Kineticism: At the listed level, your movement gains the properties of the listed spell once per property per day:
1: Feather Fall
3: Misty Step
5: Fly
7: Passwall
9: Plane Shift

Pragmatism: Your unarmed attacks use a d6 for damage and have the Finesse property. You may attack with Basic Gear as a dagger.

Pacifism: You gain +1 to Reaction rolls where CHA is applied and can apply your WIS instead.

Talents: (Duplicate 2 - Reroll)

2: You know all languages
3-6: +2 to STR, DEX, WIS
7-9: +1 to Attack rolls and Damage
10-11: Additional use of Kineticism
12: Choose talent or +2 to ability

Last edited:

Remove ads