Let's Take Another Look At That One Ring 2E Cover

Last week the cover of the upcoming The One Ring 2E was revealed by Cubicle 7. But that's only half the picture. Cubicle 7 has released the full art piece by Johan Grenier!

TOR_Marketing_Full-Cover-1200x750.jpg

While Gandalf was clearly one of the characters depicted, many people wondered who the others were. According to Cubicle 7 "The cover scene is titled “The Coming of Boldog” and depicts Gandalf along with our iconic party — a Hobbit of the Shire, a Beorning, a Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain, an Elf of Mirkwood, a Rider of Rohan, and a Man of Minas Tirith — fleeing from a horde of orcs and a terrifying cave troll. “The Coming of Boldog” will be a free adventure that will be released alongside the core rules so that you and your Company can begin your adventures straight away."

G

Guest 6801328

It's not Moria. It's a group of adventurers (as all players of the game will be) "fleeing from a horde of orcs and a terrifying cave troll" (as many will). Plus Gandalf. The details of which will apparently be in the adventure “The Coming of Boldog”.

Perhaps he saw "Boldog" and read "Balrog".

Gehrigan

Explorer
I mean, Tolkien's views on people other than him writing stories set in Middle Earth suggest that if you want to be true to Tolkien and his world you shouldn't really be playing anything set in Middle Earth anyway. And if you're willing to violate that rule he had for his world and his works then having dwarf women who say "nope - I'm outta here" to the life that Tolkien outlined that they lead in a few throwaway lines in his work is IMO a much smaller stretch.

(The idea that there aren't exceptions to the rule is already laughable to me anyway given Middle Earth. The entire premise of The Hobbit falls apart if Bilbo isn't a hobbit who acts in a way contrary to the way hobbits are "supposed" to act - without that there's no story. The idea that there might also be dwarf women who aren't acting the way the way dwarf women are "supposed" to act is in that same heritage of stories.)

Hear Hear!

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Just want to say, what an amazing and dynamic piece of art. I love the setting, the action, everything. Kudos. Not even entering into the ridiculousness that has really started plaguing the boards here of late :(

Weird drawing.

Why is the Hobbit and female dwarf holding drawn weapons and standing ready to fight while facing AWAY from all the baddies. Don't say they are fleeing, those are battle stances not run for your life stances.

As for the female dwarf. Get it right and put a beard on her. Though do we have a source other than Aragorn making a joke that female dwarves have beards?

Arilyn

Hero
Weird drawing.

Why is the Hobbit and female dwarf holding drawn weapons and standing ready to fight while facing AWAY from all the baddies. Don't say they are fleeing, those are battle stances not run for your life stances.

As for the female dwarf. Get it right and put a beard on her. Though do we have a source other than Aragorn making a joke that female dwarves have beards?

I'm sensing that there are even more enemies we're not seeing. I have no problem with beardless female dwarves.

Zander

Explorer
Just to be clear: having a female dwarf is fine with me. Having a female Beorning adventurer is fine with me.

Me too, but if a player wanted to run a female character and the GM was being true to the milieu as written of The LotR and The Hobbit, that character would be a very unusual sight indeed especially if she were a warrior.

Tolkien himself had a female shield-maiden killing the Witch King.

Tolkien himself had a female shield-maiden and a male hobbit killing the Witch King. He was making a philological point about the word 'man', not a political one. The Witch King failed to grasp the semantics of Glorfindel's prophecy, leading to his complacency and ultimately his destruction.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Me too, but if a player wanted to run a female character and the GM was being true to the milieu as written of The LotR and The Hobbit, that character would be a very unusual sight indeed especially if she were a warrior.

All player characters are unusual sights by definition. You don’t play the normal people who stay at home.

aramis erak

Legend
A female dwarf adventurer in Tolkien’s universe? No thank you. Too much against canon for me.

Same. And it appears Francesco Napolitano is fine with it.

C7's taken a turn for the worse IMO.
WFRP 4 was uninspiring.
They picked up the dog that was Wrath and Glory.
They've decided to D&D-ize the art.
They've decided to ignore the setting as written on Middle Earth, on one of the most poignant distinctions in the setting: Dwarven Women.

Feels to me that Jon's departure is Jon fleeing a ship taking on water...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases