Let's talk about boardgames, especially RUNEBOUND and DESCENT

frankthedm

First Post
Holy Bovine said:
I find Descent favours the heroes too heavily. With 4 Heroes the Overlord can barely challenge them after the first silver treasure chest (there are 3 types copper, silver and gold opening one gives a benefit for every hero) is opened. Getting gold treasures means the Overlord might as well pack up and go home - he hasn't got a chance.
Now, you do know the heroes are picked randomly, right? Part of the challenge comes come from usually having a mismatched PC group. You as overlord can choose to let the players pick whatever character they want, but you should not be doing that until you are familiar with the game set-up and how to make best use of your tokens/cards.

2A. Choose Heroes
The first hero shuffles the cardboard hero sheets, and
then deals one randomly to each hero player, starting
with himself and continuing clockwise. Alternately, if
the overlord player agrees, the hero players can simply
choose the heroes they will play, again starting with the
first hero and continuing clockwise.

Also, the expansions raise the difficulty a bit and there are changes to the base game in them as well.

The following rules have been changed or clarified to
improve the game.

Starting Overlord Cards
The overlord starts the game by drawing 3 overlord
cards from his deck.

Discarding Overlord Cards for Threat
The overlord can discard cards for threat at any time,
even during a hero player’s turn.

Drinking Potions
Each hero may only drink one potion (of any type) each
turn. This prevents players from using certain overly
powerful potion combinations.

Cost of Vitality Potions
Vitality potions should cost 50 coins, not 25 as listed on
page 20 of the Quest Guide.

Selling Treasure from Chests
Heroes can no longer immediately turn in a treasure card
from a chest to receive its full value. Instead, they must
carry the item back to town and sell it for half value in
the town shop.

Buying Treasure Cards from the Shop
Heroes can only buy treasure cards from the shop if
they’ve previously opened at least one chest of that
color this game. For example, until the heroes open at
least one silver chest, they cannot buy silver treasures
from the town shop.

Small Monsters and Staircases
By using one movement point, a small monster may
move from one space containing a staircase to any space
containing a staircase of the same color.

Pits and Line of Sight
Figures in a pit can see into the spaces adjacent to the
pit. This prevents a problem from occurring with the
Grapple ability.

Breath Template Clarification
The flame from a Breath attack billows out and around
obstacles. It usually affects all figures under the breath
template, but the flame can be blocked by walls and
closed doors. Essentially, if a small flying figure could
trace a legal movement path from the square where the
Breath attack starts to the target – while staying within
the breath template – then the target is affected. See the
accompanying diagram for examples. Breath attacks
cannot be made through staircases.

Landrec the Wise
Landrec the Wise’s special ability should state that he
“receives 2 free surges on all attack rolls.”

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
GlassJaw said:
If you want to remedy that, play Doom! It's the complete opposite. :]
Doom's main issue was that the more players there were, the Harder the game got. Also Kevin Wilson seemed to expect very efficient swat level tactics. A Beer and pretzels player who went on ahead hoping for something to kill on his own turn brought down a hornet's nest of hellspawn if he was not careful.

Also Zombies probably should have had some sort of 'no moving after attacking' rule applied to them.

Last edited:

JustKim

First Post
I have Runebound, Descent, Doom, and many other FFG games. I'm a FFG fan. Between Runebound and Descent, I greatly prefer Descent for a number of reasons. Descent is going to have a third expansion soon, and though I don't know much about it, ostensibly it takes the game out of the dungeon and into a campaign scenario like D&D.

I like Descent because it's all about the action. It's an evolution of MB's Hero Quest, which I enjoyed a lot as a teenager. While Hero Quest was always pretty static, the experience of Descent can vary greatly depending on who plays the Overlord and what cards they draw. The visual aids are great and the monsters are fun to paint (the heroes' details are a little too shallow). It's true that sometimes the balance shifts in one direction or the other- early on, the players can take too long to get going and enable the Overlord to play a killer card, or late in the game the players might have it easy if the Overlord draws too many poor cards. I expect the next expansion will deal with this problem, although you can do it yourself by splitting the Overlord decks into two or three parts if you feel it's a problem.
One problem I've had with Descent is that the board pieces often don't fit together as they should, and trying to force a flat playing surface is like pulling random puzzle pieces out of a box and demanding that they fit together. Rough treatment may result in mangling your $80 board.

Runebound is all about the story. There are very simple mechanics for customizing your character and handling tasks beyond combat that aren't present in Descent (yet). There are some very neat expansions, including one for FFG's Midnight setting, but it is a game of maneuvering much akin to Risk, except that you rarely interact with the other players. The interesting stuff happens in your head and your turn will probably be boring to all the other players. Thankfully, then, you can play the game all by yourself.
One problem I've had with Runebound is that some of the expansion decks adjust the difficulty, beyond simply telling a different story. While trying something different you may find that the added cards make things impossible or too easy. Adding expansion decks takes a keen eye.

Beckett

Explorer
Talisman is due out in October, iirc. But, imo, nostalgia is about all Talisman has going for it. My group bought Descent as an alternative to Talisman (2e), and we haven't gone back to Talisman since.

The first few adventures in Descent are weighed toward the heroes, but after that, things get tougher (and the expansions add to the difficulty and options). I'm usually the Overlord, and I've generally been able to slaughter the heroes on the first time through, followed by them squeaking out a win on the second try.

For the OP, there was a discussion on this maybe two days ago you might want to look for(here ). Also, RPG.net has reviews of both games you can check out.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Beckett said:
Talisman is due out in October, iirc. But, imo, nostalgia is about all Talisman has going for it.
How about it is a good game? Nastolgia might contribute to the game's Ebay price, but It is a quality game and in low supply {thus high cost]. Plus unlike decent, the players are all against one another, so there is no one 'bad guy'.

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Lockridge said:
Runebound is more like Talisman but with a more interesting movement mechanic. It does suffer from the drawback of not being interactive however they have improved on that with the expansions.

This is one of my big questions about RUNEBOUND. I've heard it described as 'multi-player solitaire', yet I've also heard that various expansions increase player interactivity significantly. Is this the case? If so, to what extent do the expansions increase interactivity?

Lockridge said:
So what you you want - a tactical "D&D light" game (Decent) or a more abstract Talisman-like boardgame (Runebound)?

Argh. That's the problem--I don't know which I'd enjoy more! I'm probably going to go with Runebound at this stage, but damn if Descent isn't appealing too. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the expansions for Descent?

Oh, and I have Arkham Horror, along with the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh expansion. Amazing game.

Breakdaddy

First Post
frankthedm said:
How about it is a good game? Nastolgia might contribute to the game's Ebay price, but It is a quality game and in low supply {thus high cost]. Plus unlike decent, the players are all against one another, so there is no one 'bad guy'.

Roger that, boss! I was fortunate enough to snag a copy of Talisman 4th edition at Gen Con and we got to play it last weekend. It's very similar to 2nd edition (a good thing, IMO) and still fun as all get out to play. A lot faster playing than Descent as well, which is also a fantastic game!

Steel_Wind

Legend
Honestly? Neither. Arkham Horror is a far more preferable game than either of Runebound or Descent and satisfies that RPG urge more completely.

Plus - Arkham Horror has the strength that is expansions are great - and the game can even be played solo.

Try THAT with Descent.

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
Honestly? Neither. Arkham Horror is a far more preferable game than either of Runebound or Descent and satisfies that RPG urge more completely.

Yep, it's a great game, but as I mentioned above, I already have it , and I want to get something new this weekend. Although I may pick up the Dunwich Horror expansion as well as a new game.

Steel_Wind said:
Plus - Arkham Horror has the strength that is expansions are great - and the game can even be played solo.

[Shrug] To be honest, I can't imagine anything more depressing than playing a board game by yourself. You may as well stamp NO LIFE on your forehead. :lol: However, what I *do* like about Arkham Horror is that the players actively co-operate with each other against a common threat. Runebound worries me because of this "everyone just does their own thing" vibe; Descent worries me because I dread the thought of one player having to be the "Overlord" (and it would usually end up being me, I suspect. )

Remove ads