Let's talk about boardgames, especially RUNEBOUND and DESCENT

Beckett

Explorer
Shortman McLeod said:
Descent worries me because I dread the thought of one player having to be the "Overlord" (and it would usually end up being me, I suspect. )

In my case, it works out. I'm normally the GM, so stepping into the Overlord role is pretty easy for me. But, one of my players is also interested in being the Overlord, so I've been able to play from time to time.

I guess that's one of the ways I see Descent as preferable to Talisman- rather than every man for himself, most of the group has to work together.

mattcolville

Adventurer
I played Descent and Runebound about 20 times each.

My experience with Runebound is that it's less interactive than Talisman. We parallel process all players turns to speed up the game. That's not much fun, as the whole purpose of getting together to play games with your friends is interactivity.

We bought all the expansions, but only a few of them are easy enough to use to warrant including in play. Most require A: changing the normal rules of play, which are not super-easy to begin with, and B: going through the decks and removing specific cards. The regular game has hundreds of cards and sorting through them to find specific ones just for setup isn't worth it, we feel.

The expansion that grants you a whole new board is not, Talisman-like, an addition to the regular board, it overlays the regular board, acting as an alternate game. As old Talisman vets, this disappointed us. We expected new boards as new options in the normal game, not a replacement for the normal game.

It can be fun, but we haven't played it in a long time because of the solitaire element to it.

Descent can be a lot of fun, but the setup- time is prohibitive. No matter how much enthusiasm we might have to play, it's always diminished once we remember how long it takes to set up.

Furthermore, the scenarios are not remotely balanced. It's very easy for one scenario to have a TPK 5 minutes in, and another one be a total cake walk all the way to the end. The characters can pick characters that swing this wildly in either direction.

We played it a lot, but once we learned how random the results were, we put it away.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
How far off is the new edition of Talisman, the grand-daddy of all of these?

October. It has the advantage of quick turns, and good player interaction. The game can go too long, though. It's still shorter than Runebound and Descent, though!

I'm still waiting for a really good adventuring boardgame.

Cheers!

Particle_Man

Explorer
MerricB said:
October. It has the advantage of quick turns, and good player interaction. The game can go too long, though. It's still shorter than Runebound and Descent, though!

I'm still waiting for a really good adventuring boardgame.

Cheers!

I like Talisman too, and will snap up the 4e when it comes out, or strongly hint for an Xmas gift.

But for a cooperative adventuring board game that works, how about Lord of the Rings? You play the hobbits, collectively trying to stop Sauron. Unless you get the Sauron expansion set, all the players are trying to help each other for a group win (even at the cost of self-sacrifice), which is by no means guaranteed.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Particle_Man said:
I like Talisman too, and will snap up the 4e when it comes out, or strongly hint for an Xmas gift.

But for a cooperative adventuring board game that works, how about Lord of the Rings? You play the hobbits, collectively trying to stop Sauron. Unless you get the Sauron expansion set, all the players are trying to help each other for a group win (even at the cost of self-sacrifice), which is by no means guaranteed.

I love Knizia's Lord of the Rings - I have both the Sauron and Friends & Foes expansions - but it's a set storypath, not an adventuring game really. There's nothing unknown about what you'll be facing, just how quickly things go bad. :)

Cheers!

Particle_Man said:

God, I hated that game. It was like 4 people playing solitaire with the same set of cards.

Remove ads