Pathfinder 1E Let's talk Magus!

Lord Pendragon

First Post
So in our group's current campaign, a modified Eberron, I'm playing a non-archtyped magus who just hit 4th-level. I have to admit the road up to this point has been harsh, with me mostly taking a backseat to the group's large-sized reach-focused strength-built monk. He hits anything that moves within 20 feet of him...hard.

(Part of this was my own fault, since I refused to use Arcane Mark to activate Spell Combat. I do plan to research my own non-cheesy cantrip next level to have access to Spell Combat even when I don't want to expend a Shocking Grasp. Wish I'd done it at 1st-level.)

Now that we have hit 4th-level, I expect things to start getting better. Now that I have Spell Recall I'll be able to use my arcane pool to recall shocking grasps, allowing me to start employing Spell Combat more often. Also, Mirror Image should be a big boost in my PC's defenses.

Looking ahead, things seem very positive. Next level I'll be able to keen my weapon when I enhance it, so the crits will start rolling in, and down the road he's set to pick up a lot of Shocking Grasp focused metamagic and abilities, as well as feats boosting crits and useful outliers such as Lunge.

I have a feeling he'll be spending a lot of time under the effects of Monstrous Physique once he gains access to it, since except for a slightly weaker fly speed at level 1 you get a lot more out of it than Fly including a bonus to strength, flight, darkvision, and natural attacks. Although I can't use the natural attacks while making use of Spell Combat, there's also the option of foregoing Spell Combat versus electricity-immune foes and instead using Frostbite in conjunction with those natural attacks.

Against a foe that's both immune to electricity as well as nonlethal damage, there's always the Flame Blade from a scroll using UMD. :)

At high-levels, I'm looking forward to adding Quickened Shocking Grasps to my nova routine, as well as another Shocking Grasp through my weapon via Spell Storing. Even though a spell-stored Shocking Grasp won't benefit from my weapon's increased crit range, an extra 15d6 is nothing to sneeze at!

On top of all this, from level 7 on I will be able to add a lot of utility spells to my spellbook via Knowledge Pool. And I'm considering picking up Spell Blending as my level 12 magus arcana (the magus arcana in general are one of the weaker points of the class imo, but I'm trying to cherry pick as best I can). It's just a matter of whether there's a 4th-level or lower wizard spell that I really, really want.

So. How are the other magi out there doing? What have your experiences been in mid- to high-level play? What are your favorite magus tricks? What are the worst magus pitfalls you've encountered?

Let's talk magus! :)

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Ah, well. Guess ENWorld isn't very active when it comes to Pathfinder. Wonder what all the ENWorlders are playing these days. 4e probably.... *shudder*

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Sorry, I've no experience with the Magus. I don't even know what Spell Combat is! But I've heard the class is pretty OP.

Our group is currently level 4, and so far I definitely haven't found it to be so. If anyone in the group could be said to be overpowered it'd be the large-sized monk, who's been built to combine reach and combat reflexes to devastating effect. Not that I think he's actually OP, but at our current level he's definitely our strongest offense.

That said I do think it's likely I'll begin to surpass him soon. I picked up Spell Recall at 4th-level and 3 pearls of power this last session, so I'm going to be able to start tossing out Shocking Grasps with more frequency. As we level those Shocking Grasps just get stronger and stronger. I'll also start putting keen on my weapon next level, so "hello, 15-20 threat range!" :)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Yikes, that'll do it. Large size at level 1 is rough.

Indeed. And since he's a monk, his large size also knocked up his unarmed attack damage dice, which of course increase with class levels as well.

Combine that with my refusal to use Arcane Mark to activate Spell Combat, and we're talking about a solid 3 levels in his shadow. :p

That said, as I mentioned, I definitely feel myself starting to catch up to him. :)

tylermalan

First Post
Arcane Mark is the spell that just marks an object with your sign, right? And I'm guessing Spell Combat activates every time you cast a spell? So you're trying to activate it with Shocking Grasp, which is a tougher spell to get off.

What does Spell Combat do?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Ah, well. Guess ENWorld isn't very active when it comes to Pathfinder. Wonder what all the ENWorlders are playing these days. 4e probably.... *shudder*
It's a little quiet when it comes to specific play examples or theorycrafting for Pathfinder. Not sure why, I just think that audience has gone elsewhere. And I'll be sure to use an encounter power in your honor in my next 4e session. :)

I haven't seen the Magus in play personally, but IME, melee owns in low level Pathfinder. I have a 3rd level aasimar paladin who is absolutely wrecking things, and I only have 10 ft reach. At higher levels, though, your spell versatility is going to own the monk, a class that scales very badly, and really is only surpassing you to due to the low level size shenanigans.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases