• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Level 1 Fighter builds

Erechel

Explorer
I was playing a lot of 5ed lately, and I came across a few questions. ¿How to be a powerful fighter? ¿How do you build an over effective fighter in D&D Next, that deals a nice amount of damage, or resists better than, lets say a monk or a cleric? ¿It's possible to make a champion really useful in a combat?

I think that the best thing you can do if you are a fighter is to being a human, to have a nice heavy armor (let's say a chainmail), and a nice two handed or versatile weapon. Forget dexterity and shield focus on heavy armor and strenght.

If you are a human, you can choose a feat, two +1 to scores, and a free skill instead of base +1 to six scores. So you choose Heavy Armor Master (a WONDERFUL feat, specially at low levels), that allows you to reduce 3 damage points from every nomal attack when you are heavily armored, and adds a +1 to strenght (effectively giving you +2 to strenght, easily rising it at 18 or even 20 if you are lucky enough), and Combat style Two Handed weapon master, that allows you to reroll any 1 or 2; you end with an average output damage of 1d12/2d6 + 4, with very few chances of making less than 7 (with a Two Handed Axe) or 9 damage (using a Claymore- but slightly reduces the possibility of making 16 damage). If you have a natural 18, with the feat and also the +1 you have St 20, and your damage is almost never less than 8 or 10 (using the same weapons); your maximum (critic) is 29 points. And your to hit is +7, that is almost a non miss with most enemies (you easily hit 3 out of 4 blows on armor 12).

And in level two your action surge can add you an extra attack... another at least 8-10 damage. So in a bad round (action surged) your minimum output is between 16 and 20 (let's say 18). This easily goes up if you have at least one critic, but there are only 5% chances, and even less to make two critics. You have a (very slight) posibility of making up to 58 damage in level two! Nasty!

But that doesn't end here. Defensively, you choose your second best ability score, and give it to Constitution. Let's say, for flat numbers, a 16 if you are lucky enough to achieve a natural 15 on the roll, or at least (if you are unlucky) at least a 14. Not a big deal. You have a flat 12-13 hit points. Not overly great, considering that the Barbarian has more hit points (with the same constitution, he has 14-15); but you have Heavy Armor Master, efectively reducing EVERY blow in 3 damage points.

Goblin default damage is 5: three blows to take away a barbarian (and they have +4 to hit, so they effectively blow them away very easily). But to that human warrior the basic damage is 2; effectively taking 5-6 blows to knock him down, without counting the Second Wind, that (in a bad round) gives you at least one more effective hit, and up to 6 more!

And with armor 16 that is, at least a natural 12 to hit the warrior; so 2 hits over 5 attacks! You have attack him at least 15 times to knock him down, 17-18 with the minimum Second Wind, and 30 times with the maximum. We can say, a standard of 24 attacks to knock a level 1 warrior, with many possibilities of (in that time) the warrior wiping out the goblins. Neat.

A Dwarf or a Half orc warrior has to wait until level 4 to have acces to such powerful combat performance. In further levels, the warrior doesn't escalade a lot, but he gains access to multiple attacks, more feats/ score modifiers and combat styles, making him a pretty awesome combatant against most non magical foes.

Last edited:

Minsc

Explorer
I prefer point buy over rolling for stats.

That being said, I agree with you. If you're building a Fighter at first level, go with a human.

The heavy armor mastery feat is extremely impressive. You'll have a better AC than a barbarian, and considering the DR, you'll probably last longer in combat too.

Alternately, take a Halberd and Polearm Mastery. It's very good.

That's a perfectly fine way of making a fighter. But fighters are pretty effective anyway, so if you just want to pick a race you like and grab a weapon and style that fits your theme, you'll still do well.

Paraxis

Explorer
That's a perfectly fine way of making a fighter. But fighters are pretty effective anyway, so if you just want to pick a race you like and grab a weapon and style that fits your theme, you'll still do well.

Yes, but you can also optimize a great fighter build, and then have fun roleplaying whatever race/weapon/feat/background/style combination you used to do that optimization.

Just saying you can do amazingly well mechanically speaking and amazingly well having fun with all the story bits, or you can be adequate, I prefer feeling epic myself and that takes a bit of tinkering with combinations and exploits.

Erechel

Explorer
Of course you can pick anyting you like, but if you want to be a human fighter, this is one of the most powerful and durable combinations you can choose. Note that I didn't say anything about backgrounds, nor skills, nor personalities, things that make the character unique and flavourfull. That said, this feat/ stats /combat style makes a lvl. 1 fighter extremelly durable. Pallys also can made this feat choose, with his own array of skills.
Another pretty decent combat style for this is the Duelist, that makes a longsword an extremely letal weapon (+2 to damage, minimum 7-8 depending on your strength, maximum 14-15/28-30 in a critic). That said, a human has an enormous (and yet a bit unexploited) combat advantage over any other race.

Another powerful combat combination is a halfling ranger archer with heavy dexterity, and with prefered enemy against humans and orcs (you can choose two favoured enemies if you choose humanoids), and outlaw background make an impressive sniper against the most common non magical foes. But the human fighter chops him in half with relatively ease thanks to his feat and superior strength

Erechel

Explorer
Leatherhead, can you describe this build in detail? Like I do, amount of damage output, resilience in a combat, versatility, stats, etc. It's interesting (I've being searching for fighter builds since a few weeks ago one of my players said that in core damage, the fighter wasn't very impressive)

was

Adventurer
In the beginning, I usually like to focus more on durability than maximizing damage with fighters. I am currently drawn to the Mountain Dwarf fighter with that +2 Strength and Constitution. Pair that up with chain mail and a shield and I think you'd have a pretty solid start.

Yes, but you can also optimize a great fighter build, and then have fun roleplaying whatever race/weapon/feat/background/style combination you used to do that optimization.

Just saying you can do amazingly well mechanically speaking and amazingly well having fun with all the story bits, or you can be adequate, I prefer feeling epic myself and that takes a bit of tinkering with combinations and exploits.

Yep, no problem with that whatsoever. I just got the (probably mistakenly) impression that the OP was concerned that you had to optimize to get a fighter that was playable. If the intent was just to think of ways to make highly effective fighter builds, then I don't want my comments to imply any disapproval.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Leatherhead, can you describe this build in detail? Like I do, amount of damage output, resilience in a combat, versatility, stats, etc. It's interesting (I've being searching for fighter builds since a few weeks ago one of my players said that in core damage, the fighter wasn't very impressive)

Sorry for the late reply.

I can generalize it for you.
Consider having a +2 bonus on attack rolls, the ability to ignore less than total cover and range penalties on ranged attacks, and the option of swapping -5 attack for +10 damage for easy to hit but high hp targets. It's like being a great weapon fighter, but one less average damage per hit, but a 10% increase in the number of hits landed. Also, they are ranged attacks so you can spend less time getting into position.

Your main stat is going to be Dex, meaning you will have good AC in cheap light armor, Dex saves (one of the most common kinds), Initiative, and all of the really useful dex-based skills. With the right background you can even pull double-duty as the party sneaky lockpicker. Then you can pick if you want Con or even Wis as your backup stat, depending on if you want better hp or the ability to spot things and resistance against another commonly targeted save.

Later level options include going with crossbow mastery for two-fisted shooting even in melee, and using superiority dice to trip flying creatures out of sky among other really nasty positioning tricks.

Remove ads