Level Up (A5E) Level Up Class Preview: Adept

The Kickstarter has launched and already has nearly 2000 backers! Over the next month, we have plenty of fun stuff to show you. Let’s start with a class — and we’ll start at the beginning with the Adept.

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.00.49 AM.png

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
The thread on the newest UA has branched off into a discussion on monks and why some of them (Four Elements, for instance) are weak, specifically because they don't have enough ki for both their martial arts and their spells. Since some people have worried that there still might not be enough exertion for the A5e class + archetype + maneuvers stuff, what should be done to ensure that the 05e archetypes can be properly used in the A5e chassis?

I'm particularly interested because I'm going to see about getting the players in my homebrew world to switch and one of them is playing a Sun Soul monk.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm particularly interested because I'm going to see about getting the players in my homebrew world to switch and one of them is playing a Sun Soul monk.
I think the "Ki" to this is to focus on abilities and maneuvers that use very little exertion (which is tough but they do exist). Aka more stances and passive abilities, and nothing that uses 2 exertion.

If you do that, then overall the Adept will have a decent amount more exertion than the Monk had, and so will be able to power more subclass abilities.

Stalker0

Legend
I think the "Ki" to this is to focus on abilities and maneuvers that use very little exertion (which is tough but they do exist). Aka more stances and passive abilities, and nothing that uses 2 exertion.

If you do that, then overall the Adept will have a decent amount more exertion than the Monk had, and so will be able to power more subclass abilities.
For example, for a 6th level adept here is a quick list of Focuses you could take that don't spend exertion:

Adept Weaponry/Weapon Skill
Battle Meditation
Deflect Missiles (if you don't throw them back)
Eye for Detail
Focused Strikes

And....yeah that's about it....so it is going to be a balancing act between your adept abilities and your sun soul abilities....but this can at least cut down the exertion expenditure.

niklinna

satisfied?
I've sometimes wondered about the economy of abilities that are fueled by "points" of whatever kind. It's quite easy to just use your max-exertion abilities until you use up your fuel, but in real life (whatever that's worth, of course), you do your 1-rep max, and your top capacity is reduced for a short amount of time. In game terms, if your max-exertion ability is 3, for example, and you use it, then you can't use any 2-exertion abilities on your next turn.

Stalker0

Legend
It also looks like the Adpet will have somewhere between 1 and 3 more exertion at every level than the ki of a similar level o5e Monk. I'm not seeing a downside for monk players to make the switch.
Agreed, honestly there is nothing that the monk brings to the table over the Adept until 7th level, when the monk can get some innate resistances that the Adept has to spend an action for. The adept can do everything the monk can do, and can specialize much easier.

But that is small potatoes compared to what the Adept has. While sometimes O5e vs LU is a choice in terms of which class is "better"..... with the adept its no contest.

Horwath

Legend
Agreed, honestly there is nothing that the monk brings to the table over the Adept until 7th level, when the monk can get some innate resistances that the Adept has to spend an action for. The adept can do everything the monk can do, and can specialize much easier.

But that is small potatoes compared to what the Adept has. While sometimes O5e vs LU is a choice in terms of which class is "better"..... with the adept its no contest.
like it's hard to be better than o5e monk...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases