Blog (A5E) Level Up: Exploration Challenges, Boons, & Monster Signs

We looked at exploration in Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition in a previous article about how we’re expanding the exploration pillar of the game. In that article we talked about Supplies, Safe Havens, and we introduced the concept of Exploration Challenges. This article talks about three of the tools that GMs have available to create a rich and vibrant environment: Exploration Challenges Boons...

image5.jpg

We looked at exploration in Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition in a previous article about how we’re expanding the exploration pillar of the game. In that article we talked about Supplies, Safe Havens, and we introduced the concept of Exploration Challenges. This article talks about three of the tools that GMs have available to create a rich and vibrant environment:
  • Exploration Challenges
  • Boons & Discoveries
  • Monster Signs
Exploration as a ‘pillar’ of the game includes underground as well as the wilderness. When you’re searching a dungeon, you’re exploring. When you’re trekking across hill and shire, you’re exploring. When you’re navigating a dense fantasy city, you’re exploring. When you’re flying through an elemental plane of air, you’re exploring.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yep, I find players really really love when these kind of "low effectiveness" spells get a chance to shine bright. For example, I've allowed players to use control water to slow or stun water elementals, and the player (who had control water mainly for flavor) was thrilled.
Just this last week, we've used the shape water cantrip to make igloos.

CapnZapp

Legend
Group checks in D&D are in the core rules. More than half the party needs to succeed.
No in D&D at least half the group needs to succeed.

In A5E this has - for some reason - been changed to more than half.

This is a huge change, especially for every play group with an even number of members. Like all the groups with 4 heroes.

No longer is it enough that two out of four heroes succeed. Now you need 3 out of 4 heroes to succeed - much more difficult.

I'm mildly interested in learning the reason for this change. (I don't really see why A5E couldn't maintain compatibility with the original D&D rule here)

Remove ads

Remove ads