Blog (A5E) Level Up Monster Preview: Green Dragon

Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition's Monstrous Menagerie contains more in-depth treatments of the O5E monsters you already know and love. We include interesting, varied actions which will surprise your players, and a range of new tools to enhance monster encounters — signs, behaviors, lairs, encounters, treasure, names, and more.

If you follow us on Twitter you may have seen the Bugbear preview we shared a few days ago. Below, there’s a bigger monster. A green dragon.

swampdragon copy.jpg

BookTenTiger

He / Him
How fun! I love Bloodied Condition, Legends and Lore, Signs, Behavior, and combat suggestions.

I'm not sure that I'm going to be playing Level Up (I have relatively new players who are still getting a grasp on 5e), but I will probably buy and use the Monstrous Menagerie!

EDIT: Okay, I just saw Encounters broken up by tier and I love that too! This is really, really good material.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Do you have plans--or just an interest in--creating an LU MM2?

I like Honeyed Words, and I'm quite interested in seeing if other dragons have the same ability or if this is just for those manipulative greens.

I have to say, I'm kind of sad you went with elder and not great wyrm... but on the other hand, I don't know what the next stat block is.

Teemu

Hero
This is really cool. I might use some of the new abilities even before the book is out to add some extra oomph to existing 5e dragons. A couple of notes:

Blood Toxicity triggers on a melee attack, not a hit -- is that intended? It could get cumbersome with three attacks from a PC, all triggering saves. That's a lot of extra rolling. Even if it's only on a hit, it's still a lot of extra checks. Maybe it should just be automatic poison damage when hit?

Immortal Terror says that the dragon locks eyes with a target, but it doesn't have the same eye averting clause that Beguiling Gaze has.

Stalker0

Legend
That's a lot of extra rolling. Even if it's only on a hit, it's still a lot of extra checks. Maybe it should just be automatic poison damage when hit?
I agree, for such a high CR creature, an automatic 10 poison damage seems completely fine. That's how the balor (CR 19) does it as well.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases