Playtest (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document #11: Wizard

Welcome to the 11th Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of the game’s wizard class.

th-18483468401-765x1078.png

What this is
This is a playtest document. We’d love you to try out the rules presented here, and then answer the follow-up survey in a few days.

What this is not
This is NOT the final game. It’s OK if you don’t like elements of these rules; that’s the purpose of a playtest document. Be sure to participate in the follow-up survey in a few days. All data, positive or negative is useful.

What we use this for
Your survey responses help form the direction of the game as it goes through the development process.

Don’t forget!
Sign up for the mailing list for notifications of playtests, surveys, and news, and also ensure you get notified on Kickstarter when the project launches in 2021.

Last edited:

Caliburn101

Explorer
That's not how it works though
View attachment 133733
It's one first & eventually first or second level slot restricted to one spell that seems to be prepped free for normal usage & if you use the free slot you need to take a rest to recover it
Mathematically speaking peopple would still not know which was the wizards signatire spell from their casting - 1 per short rest? They would have to tell people...

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
I'm not a fan of Signature Spell the way it's written right now, or Spell Study or Wizard's Flair. The reason is that they add extra things to be tracked. A wizard is already keeping track of spell slots per long rest. Then you have Arcane Recovery once per long rest. Add Signature Spell once per short or long rest. Plus Spell Study can give perks that you can use once or more per long rest. And finally Wizard's Flair adds even more uses per long rest. That's too much. The wizard could also have magic items with long rest uses, and it all adds up and creates a tracking headache.
I hadn't thought of this when I read through but it's a good point. @vincegetorix's suggestion of spell slots could help but I think wizards would then need more slots, which could end up being used for other spells. Maybe the simplest suggestion is a pool of Arcane Energy that is basically just Sorcery Points for wizards and can be spent on Arcane Recovery, Signature Spells, Spell Study and Wizard's Flair?

TheSword

Legend
Disappointing that it is yet another straight up power boost - an even more substantial one this time. These classes are going to be less useful if previous classes are dramatically overshadowed by new classes. Power isn’t something PCs (particularly wizards) struggle with in 5e so I’m not really sure why there’s a drive to give them extra slots.

I mean, I get that it sells books because players want more power. As a DM it just puts me off allowing it.

dave2008

Legend
Power isn’t something PCs (particularly wizards) struggle with in 5e so I’m not really sure why there’s a drive to give them extra slots.
Where are the extra slots? I haven't read it in-depth, but when I compare the slots per level table it matches the one in the PHB.

EDIT: OK, so I see they revised "Signature Spells" to start at lower level and get better as you level up. I guess it is a slight power bump at lower levels, but will be the same by 20th. I'm not seeing as a big deal, but I see what your saying on that one. I guess I just think it is better design then the PHB version. I mean get get 2 3rd spells for free at 20th lvl is nice, but players rarely get to that level. I'm all for spreading the love down the levels. I don't see one free 1st level spell (that can't be up-cast) as a big deal. But technically it is a power bump.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
Where are the extra slots? I haven't read it in-depth, but when I compare the slots per level table it matches the one in the PHB.
From signature spell.
A fifth level wizard now functionally has extra 1st level spells slots equal to 1 + the number of short rests in a day.

dave2008

Legend
From signature spell.
A fifth level wizard now functionally has extra 1st level spells slots equal to 1 + the number of short rests in a day.
Yep, I edited my post to include that. I see your point, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Obviously they intend it to progress so that at 20th level it is the same, so it wouldn't be a power boost at 20th level, but it is a minor boost up to that point. I don't find one extra 1st level spell (that can't be up-cast) a big deal, but I see your point.

Personally, I find this take on the wizard more interesting than the PHB one and would allow it at my table. When it is finished I may offer it as an option to our group's wizard.

TheSword

Legend

EDIT: OK, so I see they revised "Signature Spells" to start at lower level and get better as you level up. I guess it is a slight power bump at lower levels, but will be the same by 20th. I'm not seeing as a big deal, but I see what your saying on that one. I guess I just think it is better design then the PHB version. I mean get get 2 3rd spells for free at 20th lvl is nice, but players rarely get to that level. I'm all for spreading the love down the levels. I don't see one free 1st level spell (that can't be up-cast) as a big deal. But technically it is a power bump.
It isn’t one slot. It can be regained after a short rest. So that’s likely to be 2-3 extra slots... in addition to arcane recovery. It applies to second level spells at 9th level - only four levels later.

When you add in flairs with extra effects to charm, blind etc for what can be already powerful spells. Also exploration knacks and the additional benefits from the 7th level spell study it is just a straight up boost on the base class.

dave2008

Legend
From signature spell.
Also, I am not real familiar with the PHB wizard, but Spell Study and Wizard's flair seem like a little power boost too.

dave2008

Legend
It isn’t one slot. It can be regained after a short rest. So that’s likely to be 2-3 extra slots... in addition to arcane recovery. It applies to second level spells at 9th level - only four levels later.
Yes, that doesn't bother me. But if does you I suggest you comment in the survey. Maybe they make it just once per long rest until higher levels?
When you add in flairs with extra effects to charm, blind etc for what can be already powerful spells. Also exploration knacks and the additional benefits from the 7th level spell study it is just a straight up boost on the base class.
Yep, I just noted that as well (just replied to your comment again)! Again, it doesn't bother me, but I encourage you to reply to the survey or your objections will not be heard. They do not read the comments section for feedback, they stated they are relying on the survey responses.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases