• NOW LIVE! -- One-Page Adventures for D&D 5th Edition on Kickstarter! A booklet of colourful one-page adventures for D&D 5th Edition ranging from levels 1-9 and designed for a single session of play.

Blog (A5E) Level Up: Spending Gold (At Higher Levels)

One of the challenges with designing an advanced 5th Edition (A5E) is filling in some of the areas of the original (O5E) game which have room for expansion.

We’ve looked previously at how we’re expanding the exploration pillar. This article takes a quick peak at ways to spend your gold at higher levels. Of course, at all levels characters can buy magic items and other equipment, but here we’ll explore some other options.

cropped-ragesian-empire.jpg

Russ Morrissey

Russ Morrissey

Faolyn

Hero
First off, as an "inexperienced" cook, I have to say that a free Hit Die of healing seems awfully generous. But I guess that depends on how crappy the rations are. What if they're halfling rations?

You might wish to adjust your stronghold costs for purpose, location, and quality as well (unless you have and didn't include it here). A large, spacious, drafty warehouse in a seedy docks isn't going to be as comparatively expensive as a smaller building made of better materials in a nicer part of town. This could be covered by a simple fraction multiplier.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
First off, as an "inexperienced" cook, I have to say that a free Hit Die of healing seems awfully generous. But I guess that depends on how crappy the rations are. What if they're halfling rations?

You might wish to adjust your stronghold costs for purpose, location, and quality as well (unless you have and didn't include it here). A large, spacious, drafty warehouse in a seedy docks isn't going to be as comparatively expensive as a smaller building made of better materials in a nicer part of town. This could be covered by a simple fraction multiplier.
The article doesn’t go into the costs, but yes, they exist!

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
I really like the stronghold mechanics - simple but giving value. And threats to your party's investments become a really strong adventure hook (that could be any of exploration or social or combat pillar). Great idea.

GKEnialb

Villager
I love the concepts in general (especially crafting), but having the followers and strongholds be completely abstract really ruins it for me. It wouldn't be hard to put some rules in for dealing with them in a concrete way (maybe even an optional sidebar) for players who don't want their cook to travel through a dungeon with no chance of dying and just appear to serve them some HP stew.

Providing benefits for having strongholds is great, but there is too much ability bloat with 5E anyway, so it'd be good to see advantages that don't add to your abilities.

Faolyn

Hero
I love the concepts in general (especially crafting), but having the followers and strongholds be completely abstract really ruins it for me. It wouldn't be hard to put some rules in for dealing with them in a concrete way (maybe even an optional sidebar) for players who don't want their cook to travel through a dungeon with no chance of dying and just appear to serve them some HP stew.

Providing benefits for having strongholds is great, but there is too much ability bloat with 5E anyway, so it'd be good to see advantages that don't add to your abilities.
Agreed--followers shouldn't travel into obviously dangerous situations. Although what "obviously dangerous" means is up to interpretation, of course. Perhaps they don't leave strongholds, towns, and base camps. except to travel.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Don’t worry. Your cook can die.

Stalker0

Legend
"Pets range from 5 gp bats and cats all the way up to a 75,000 gp tyrannosaurus rex."

"Bob its your turn"
"I don't want to"
"Bob we all agreed that we have to keep the grove up, and this is how we agreed to do it. Its your turn".
"But its like forever!"
"Eh, 5 years, 10 at the most. Hey if the owners are stupid and careless just eat them, no one would blame you!"
"But I feel so stupid as a T rex!"
"Bob its 75k man, think of the bigger picture here. Ok tell you what, how about we take a little of that money and get that townhouse you always wanted"
"The one that comes with the pretty cook?"
"The very same"
"Sigh, ok ok, I'll be a big stupid pet T Rex. Raar Raar"
"Bob we are going to need more enthusiasm if you are going to sell it. I mean the owner needs to think your trying to eat him"
"I'll eat you if you don't shut up"

Stalker0

Legend
I greatly like this concept as this truly is a "gap" in 5e. My players joke when they find treasure "oh look piles of worthless gold!".

I think the key is to find that happy middle ground between the magic shop mentality that is 3.5 power scaling and the "treasure is worthless" mindset that 5e has. This idea feels like it threads the needle. The trick will be in the scaling. My initial fear is that the scaling will be too costly compared to buying another building, so instead of going "I want a palace!" The optimizer will instead go "ok for the same price I can get 20 townhomes and get WAY more value".

So that's my concern as you all try to finalize power and cost.

Just noting, the +1 wisdom does not say (to a maximum of 20). Is that an oversight or is intended to break the 20 barrier?

TheSword

Legend
Supporter
Why on earth would a tyrannosaurus cost 75,000 GP?

... unless it’s extinct and you need to reconstitute it’s dna from amber encased mosquito blood!

[Edit] Ninja’d!!!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My initial fear is that the scaling will be too costly compared to buying another building, so instead of going "I want a palace!" The optimizer will instead go "ok for the same price I can get 20 townhomes and get WAY more value".
Unless you can only have one stronghold feat. Though I suppose buying the same feat 20 times is a good way to waste money!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Something really exciting that I noticed
1612575013363.png
Making hit dice a little more useful is nice & going back to having some real risk from random encounters shy of a beholder opening with disintegrate to calling it a day makes a huge difference to so many areas of the game

Is it really your cook who gets you that extra hit die and not the servants who carry, unpack, and set up your soft mattress, down pillows, extra blankets, and mosquito netting?

There must be a reason why so many real world travellers had vast amounts of gear.

ruemere

Explorer
Something really exciting that I noticed
Making hit dice a little more useful is nice & going back to having some real risk from random encounters shy of a beholder opening with disintegrate to calling it a day makes a huge difference to so many areas of the game
I still vastly prefer 13th Age solution to this issue (8 recoveries, regain roughly 1/2 to 1/3 hp per recovery, recoveries are usable by players for an action, or by cures [no action used], regain recoveries after long rest) - no need for healbots, wands of cure light wounds, ties wonderfully into action economy in combat (heal yourself or fight), and once recoveries are gone, magic healing is no longer working too.

Stuff like Pathfinder 2E (minigame of healing after each combat) or 5E (magic healing or rests) are relics of the old, use up precious game time, and should not be a part of cinematic high action gaming.

Visit Our Sponsor

Latest threads

An Advertisement

Advertisement4