Blog (A5E) Level Up: Spending Gold (At Higher Levels)

One of the challenges with designing an advanced 5th Edition (A5E) is filling in some of the areas of the original (O5E) game which have room for expansion.

We’ve looked previously at how we’re expanding the exploration pillar. This article takes a quick peak at ways to spend your gold at higher levels. Of course, at all levels characters can buy magic items and other equipment, but here we’ll explore some other options.

cropped-ragesian-empire.jpg

Stalker0

Legend
I greatly like this concept as this truly is a "gap" in 5e. My players joke when they find treasure "oh look piles of worthless gold!".

I think the key is to find that happy middle ground between the magic shop mentality that is 3.5 power scaling and the "treasure is worthless" mindset that 5e has. This idea feels like it threads the needle. The trick will be in the scaling. My initial fear is that the scaling will be too costly compared to buying another building, so instead of going "I want a palace!" The optimizer will instead go "ok for the same price I can get 20 townhomes and get WAY more value".

So that's my concern as you all try to finalize power and cost.

Just noting, the +1 wisdom does not say (to a maximum of 20). Is that an oversight or is intended to break the 20 barrier?

TheSword

Legend
Why on earth would a tyrannosaurus cost 75,000 GP?

... unless it’s extinct and you need to reconstitute it’s dna from amber encased mosquito blood!

[Edit] Ninja’d!!!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My initial fear is that the scaling will be too costly compared to buying another building, so instead of going "I want a palace!" The optimizer will instead go "ok for the same price I can get 20 townhomes and get WAY more value".
Unless you can only have one stronghold feat. Though I suppose buying the same feat 20 times is a good way to waste money!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Something really exciting that I noticed
1612575013363.png
Making hit dice a little more useful is nice & going back to having some real risk from random encounters shy of a beholder opening with disintegrate to calling it a day makes a huge difference to so many areas of the game

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
Is it really your cook who gets you that extra hit die and not the servants who carry, unpack, and set up your soft mattress, down pillows, extra blankets, and mosquito netting?

There must be a reason why so many real world travellers had vast amounts of gear.

ruemere

Adventurer
Something really exciting that I noticed
Making hit dice a little more useful is nice & going back to having some real risk from random encounters shy of a beholder opening with disintegrate to calling it a day makes a huge difference to so many areas of the game
I still vastly prefer 13th Age solution to this issue (8 recoveries, regain roughly 1/2 to 1/3 hp per recovery, recoveries are usable by players for an action, or by cures [no action used], regain recoveries after long rest) - no need for healbots, wands of cure light wounds, ties wonderfully into action economy in combat (heal yourself or fight), and once recoveries are gone, magic healing is no longer working too.

Stuff like Pathfinder 2E (minigame of healing after each combat) or 5E (magic healing or rests) are relics of the old, use up precious game time, and should not be a part of cinematic high action gaming.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases