Blog (A5E) Level Up: Spending Gold (At Higher Levels)

One of the challenges with designing an advanced 5th Edition (A5E) is filling in some of the areas of the original (O5E) game which have room for expansion. We’ve looked previously at how we’re expanding the exploration pillar. This article takes a quick peak at ways to spend your gold at higher levels. Of course, at all levels characters can buy magic items and other equipment, but here...

One of the challenges with designing an advanced 5th Edition (A5E) is filling in some of the areas of the original (O5E) game which have room for expansion.

We’ve looked previously at how we’re expanding the exploration pillar. This article takes a quick peak at ways to spend your gold at higher levels. Of course, at all levels characters can buy magic items and other equipment, but here we’ll explore some other options.

cropped-ragesian-empire.jpg

Faolyn

(she/her)
2) the players who like to put effort in what heroes do between adventures - building wizard towers, donating to orphanages and whatever else this article presents. They want gold to be attractive and useful, but not in a way that commoditizes magic items.
A while ago I ran a game where the players decided to play a traveling music group called The Sex Crossbows* and chose to rehabilitate every bandit/henchman goblinoid they met by "offering" them jobs (at minotaur-point) in their workshop, where they would be making tunics with the band's logo on it.

*One of our players took many levels in Punslinger.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, the warlord gets a stronghold, and I have to assume that a few other classes have that as a high-level option as well. So would the feat be primarily if you want a stronghold at lower levels, or if you want an additional stronghold? Can I assume that if you take a stronghold feat you basically get a stronghold "for free" (i.e., just the feat tax) but you can also spend gold to get one?

Which, by the way, is cool: I'm stingy at giving out cash money to my players and tend to give them lots of useful or valuable objects instead, so having multiple options to getting a stronghold is good.
The stronghold is the feat.

aco175

Legend
I like a lot of this and am curious about the final product to see how much I like the whole.

Having easy followers that make life work for PCs is good and having them be low maintenance is better. Having henchman be something more is good as well Adding benefits to them makes the investment worthwhile. I may have a horse and having a groom take care of it vs. the game now having the PC take care of it. It is assumed in the background with the PC taking care of it that it gets fed the right food and brushed and taken care of to keep it running right. The game gives no penalties to the PC taking care of the horse. A groom would likely take better care of a horse than a PC but the game does not reward this. Now, hiring a groom in this example may grant the horse a 5ft increase in speed or recovery of HP faster than normal. Makes sense.

Strongholds appear to be good in that they, like followers, grant a bonus for having them. Not sure if you need to be there to get the bonus of simply have them. I can see having a temple and getting better healing while there, but can also see being able to bottle something and take the bonus with me.

dave2008

Legend
This looks very promising. Spellcasting, renting demiplanes (maybe you could but them too), and vehicles all sound like good uses for money. Stongholds and followers look interesting too. I'm eager to see more!

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Strongholds have a long history back to BECMI D&D. It's a pretty reasonable thing for pseudomedieval characters to do with their riches, since low-cost index funds haven't been invented yet. ;)

Arilyn

Hero
This looks very promising. Spellcasting, renting demiplanes (maybe you could but them too), and vehicles all sound like good uses for money. Stongholds and followers look interesting too. I'm eager to see more!
I love the idea of renting demiplanes. And I'm sure players getting a cut rate on the rent wouldn't lead to anything.... Wizard just desperate for gold, that's all.

Remove ads

Remove ads