Level Up (A5E) Level Up's Downtime activities

We have a lot of downtime activities available in the advanced edition of 5E. Crafting, information gathering, recovery, religious devotion, research, spell craft, training, and work. Here's a look at a couple of pages in this chapter.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 11.35.10 PM.png

Why would a sorcerer require books to modify their spells? And not all warlocks have anything to do with fiendish law whatsoever. Those requirements seem arbitrary to me.
Otherwise, really cool stuff!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Why would a sorcerer require books to modify their spells? And not all warlocks have anything to do with fiendish law whatsoever. Those requirements seem arbitrary to me.
Otherwise, really cool stuff!
Sorcerer still needs a focus as well as verbal somatic and material components of a spell. How else would they proceed with a deliberate plan rather than random coincidence?

Would it be less arbitrary if they couldn't modify their spells at all?

Staffan

Legend
Sorcerer still needs a focus as well as verbal somatic and material components of a spell. How else would they proceed with a deliberate plan rather than random coincidence?

Would it be less arbitrary if they couldn't modify their spells at all?
I could see sorcerers requiring a location appropriate to their origin rather than a library. Storm sorcerers could require being at sea or on storm-stricken mountain peaks, Shadow sorcerers a place where the Shadowfell is near, and a Wild sorcerer a place of wild magic.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
I feel like requiring that for the entire time would be super restricting and far more annoying than what Wizards have to do? But if it was like. Do the studying of the magic as normal, but then you have to find a thematic place to lock it in and internalize it in exchange for the total time being lessened by a day or two, would help it feel more distinct and flavorful.

I do agree that Warlocks specifying only a Fiendish Tome seems really limiting considering the breadth of what patrons can be, I feel like one more specific example followed by 'or something similar depending on patron' would work well, and could also apply to Sorcerers/Bloodlines since they are also far more varied by nature.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I could see sorcerers requiring a location appropriate to their origin rather than a library. Storm sorcerers could require being at sea or on storm-stricken mountain peaks, Shadow sorcerers a place where the Shadowfell is near, and a Wild sorcerer a place of wild magic.
I'm not sure that's even justified. Sorcerers are already getting a leg up by being able to use their spellcasting ability with arcana. We haven't seen the skills rework & have heard that skills are more unchained from specific attributes sure, but all of those places you mention tend to be much more accessible than a library in most settings. 5e did a lot to make int the dumpstat to dump & value charisma...

Darkwynters

Explorer
I have to admit I am interested in all this Advanced 5e idea. One, AD&D was my first game and, two, I am not playing 5e at the moment but gave it a good 4 years. As a permanent DM… rules are something very important to me and, when we played 5e, I kept having to homebrew stuff. Any case, I love downtime… love it. Anyway you guys could send a small image of the possible new “crafting” downtime rules… even just a portion… I have played 2e, 3.5, PF1e, 5e and now PF2e…… and still I am not satisfied with their crafting rules. In any case, thank you for trying to rebuild a better 5e.

P.S. or a small portion of the “starting wealth at higher levels” chart from page 38 of the DMG. :)

P.P.S. Sorry… just opened my old DMG… I have not seen any pics or info on items… I have loved Drizzt since I was 13… anyway we could see your set up for items… say the Frost Brand 🤪

Last edited:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases