Level Up (A5E) Level Up's Downtime activities

We have a lot of downtime activities available in the advanced edition of 5E. Crafting, information gathering, recovery, religious devotion, research, spell craft, training, and work. Here's a look at a couple of pages in this chapter. https://www.levelup5e.com

We have a lot of downtime activities available in the advanced edition of 5E. Crafting, information gathering, recovery, religious devotion, research, spell craft, training, and work. Here's a look at a couple of pages in this chapter.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 11.35.10 PM.png

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Will there be a downtime activity of these things?
  • Scribing scrolls for hire in the employ of a local merchant(someone needs to make them for them to be readily available)
  • Allowing other wizards to copy spells from your spellbook
  • Wizards copying spells out of another wizard's spellbook
  • Copying spells from spellbooks in a library/trade union/guild that one is in good standing with

Faolyn

(she/her)
  • Scribing scrolls for hire in the employ of a local merchant(someone needs to make them for them to be readily available)
That would count as making a magic item.

• Copying spells from spellbooks in a library/trade union/guild that one is in good standing with
That's covered in scribing spells to your book, in the wizard's section.

Now, maybe it would be better if it was covered in downtime activities, I don't know. But the information is already there.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Actually, what I would like to see if if there was any way to use downtime to either learn a weapon proficiency or to improve your own weapon skills.

In my current game, we're on a long ship journey and the DM asked if there was anything we wanted to do as downtime. Since my character is a duelist by trade, I said that I would gladly teach fencing skills to anyone who wanted to learn. We had one teaching session (with other PCs) that went well, based on die rolls. I have absolutely no idea how the DM is going to handle the benefits of the teaching, though, beyond maybe granting the other PCs proficiency with rapiers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Those rules are in the game but not specifically in the downtime activities chapter, I don't think.

Actually, what I would like to see if if there was any way to use downtime to either learn a weapon proficiency or to improve your own weapon skills.

In my current game, we're on a long ship journey and the DM asked if there was anything we wanted to do as downtime. Since my character is a duelist by trade, I said that I would gladly teach fencing skills to anyone who wanted to learn. We had one teaching session (with other PCs) that went well, based on die rolls. I have absolutely no idea how the DM is going to handle the benefits of the teaching, though, beyond maybe granting the other PCs proficiency with rapiers.
We cover it under the learning new skills downtime. And we've houseruled it that the further along in your training you are, the more proficient you are. That way, there is some benefit, even if you've only had a few weeks of training.

Staffan

Legend
I'm wondering, is there an "R&R" option? Downtime rules in general tend to promote filling your days with all sorts of activities, rather than just chilling and enjoying yourself. Ideally, R&R should also provide some benefit, albeit possibly more nebulous, like starting out with inspiration or more hero points (if you have those, can't recall) or something like that, to represent an overall sense of well-being.

I'm thinking of what I was told about Burn Bryte (I haven't played or read it so I'm going off knowledge gleaned from a Twitter thread). Basically, in BB you are assumed to collectively own and live on a spaceship. Spaceships can have things like weapons, drives, armor, computers, and whatnot that improve the spaceship's performance. But you can also dedicate space to "livability", and the effect of doing that is that the PCs can have more "nova points" (which is what you use to reroll dice and such).

Remove ads

Remove ads