Leveling and Items

covaithe

Explorer
Obviously I won't have seen the original Captain's Caper adventure proposal, and since it was one of the first, we probably wouldn't have figured this out yet, but... I'm sure the other judges will back me up when I say that these days, I'm always on reminding DMs to take time XP and quest XP into account when preparing their treasure lists. So, yeah, I think definitely give treasure appropriate to the amount of XP you hand out.

Quagmire is probably the only character in existence who doesn't have a wish list, mostly because whenever I set about thinking about what treasure would be good for him, my eyes start to glaze over with too much choice. I suppose one of these days I should really sit down with the character builder and sort it out. In the meantime, suggestions would be welcome.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Quagmire is probably the only character in existence who doesn't have a wish list, mostly because whenever I set about thinking about what treasure would be good for him, my eyes start to glaze over with too much choice. I suppose one of these days I should really sit down with the character builder and sort it out. In the meantime, suggestions would be welcome.
Well, unless their suggestions come very quickly, I'll be making some more permanent 'suggestions' of my own in the adventure thread soonish. ;) Unless you'd prefer me to delay awarding stuff for a day or two to give time for your suggestions to trickle in? :eek:

The only other thing I'm questioning is how much loot should Brudd get? Since Halford disappeared about 7/10 of the way through the adventure, should I shift less treasure and magic his way? I'm not gonna cut him out completely in case he ever returns, but I don't know if a full share is fair to the others. I'm thinking I'll give him a 7/10 share of the money and 1 magic item. It's too bad he's gone as that one big magic item I teased him with was going to involve a neat side quest to activate fully when he got it back eventually.

covaithe

Explorer
That seems plausible for Brudd. Sigh. I miss him.

As for Quagmire, certainly don't hold off on awarding treasure on his account. Here are some high-level thoughts that vaguely relate to item selection:

Quagmire's role(s) in the party, in rough order of importance:
1. healing / buffing
2. Providing extra attacks for strikers
3. flanking / tactical movement
4. secondary tank
5. damage
6? Social skills outside of combat. (Though, if he were to pump intimidate, that could be fun...)

Dwarven armor or something like that should probably go close to the top of the list, since if he can give himself a free surge, that's that much more healing he can dish out for party members. Also, improving his defenses means he's that much less likely to need healing. Another point in favor of magic armor, or a neck slot item. I think there are neck slot items and/or armors that improve healing, but I'm not sure any of them are available at low level.

The only time when it's really important that Quagmire hits is when he's using Bastion of Defense. Still, hitting and doing damage is fun. Quagmire charges a lot, so maybe a vanguard rapier would be nice. Second choice, off the top of my head, would be a communal rapier.

Something that improved his tactical movement would be attractive to me; e.g. something that let him ignore difficult terrain, or boosted his speed. Or improved his charging, like Boots of Adept Charging.

Well, that's hardly a proper wish list, but hopefully it will tide you over until I get off my butt and do it right.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
There are some decent healing-ish neck items at your level.

Brooch of No Regrets: daily to let an ally reroll a save.
Cloak of the Chirurgeon: + enhancement bonus to heal checks, daily to let an ally regain a surge.
Healer's Brooch: + enhancement bonus to amount healed through powers.

Also, while Dwarven Armor is great, if you don't mind taking one for the team you should look at the Armor of Sacrifice. It has two abilities: you can pull save ends conditions from allies onto yourself at will, and once per day you can spend a healing surge to heal an ally. The downside to the first ability is that you can't save until the end of your next turn, so it doesn't work with Hobgoblin Resilience. However, I don't think ongoing damage from the same source stacks, so the armor works really well if, say, your entire party got drenched in acid somehow.

covaithe

Explorer
so the armor works really well if, say, your entire party got drenched in acid somehow.

Yeah, like that would ever happen! :eek:

Yeah, Armor of Sacrifice does look pretty good, probably a bit better than dwarven armor. Healer's brooch is decent, but not terribly exciting. It's much better at higher levels, I think.

ukingsken

First Post
I seem to have missed the bulk of the peetinent discussion but for what it's worth I think money along with time xp is almost essential. Also what LS said about converting items to gp value has really helped me when doing some loot restructuring for pubd adventures that I've adapted in rl.

Also after several months I feel somehow left out not having a monstrous pc and have the itching desire to create one. Minotaur bard? Slightly crazed goblin barbarian? Hobgoblin Druid?? Who knows but reading the MMC fills me with monster related joy!

Remove ads