• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Levels 1-4 are "Training Wheels?"

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm not suggesting things stay at tier one for 20 levels (if I were I'd suggest an E6 model of some sort), but there are ways of smoothing out the power jumps.

3/2 attacks are one such way (3 attacks per 2 rounds; or, later, 5/2 between 2/1 and 3/1). Spell slot manipulation is another: sure you get access to a new rack of spells at the odd-numbered levels but you only get, say, one slot at that level; and it's the even-numbered levels that give most of the slots you need to cast them with. You can stagger bonuses and feat gains etc. as well to even out levels where otherwise there'd be less gained. And so on - it just takes a little kitbashing. :)

It's not really about the scale but the points.

A character with double attacks or 3rd level spells will still feel more power and have more mechanical agent than their previous incarnations. You'll have to fundamentally alter D&D's attack and spell systems to change that. Whether it's level 3, 5, or 7, the PC will enter a new phase of the game.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's not really about the scale but the points.

A character with double attacks or 3rd level spells will still feel more power and have more mechanical agent than their previous incarnations. You'll have to fundamentally alter D&D's attack and spell systems to change that. Whether it's level 3, 5, or 7, the PC will enter a new phase of the game.
Indeed. What I'm trying for is those phases to come in as more steady level-by-level increments rather than all at once, such that by the time the player realizes a new phase has begun it's actually already been underway for a while.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Funny. Moon druid was the first casualty in my game game as a player because the enemies chewed through their measly beast AC and everyone else was too busy to save them.

He managed that at level 2 ?

I'm not saying "training wheels" is a positive term. I'm saying there isn't a positive term for "the point of the game where you don't have access to all of your characters full features and can feel a clear differentiation between easy, moderate, and hard challenges".

And that definition has no meaning, since all characters will never get their full features until level 20, if that. As for the challenges, the difficulty is all in the DM's hand, not the player.

Even "early game" doesn't really cut it because you can play level 1-4 for years.

Exactly.

Tiers exist in leveled based games.

They can exist, but it's not mandatory. We don't use them, never had, there's only a story and characters that evolve, sometimes in leaps and bounds, but certainly not simultanesously.

If levels go up, eventually you never more powerful that your previous self and the challenges that were moderate at those levels.

And what does this have with tiers ?

My point is major changes is not simple adjudication and require recreation of the social contract of the campaign between the DM and Players to proceed. It moves from Final Say to Updating the Contract.

Where does this suddenly come from ? Where is it ever mention ? As far as I know, nowhere since there is no reason for it.

My point is that once this is said, it becomes a new campaign contract. The DM had final say of rules adjudication not full rules revisions.

The rules never say this. That is a personal view of your wishes, but the rules don't support that at all, there is no reason for it, especially since there are no specific points for it in the progression.

In any case, you are clearly wrong since the game says "ruling over rules", so any local ruling can override any written rule, core or not core (and there is not even a definition of what a core rule is).

There is a line where the DM can pass and lose final say because that was agreed on of what they have final say over would no longer exist.

There is no such thing in the rules, only in your personal wishes. You will have a hard time proving that it's supported by anything else than personal preferences.

Lyxen

Great Old One
If 10% - or even 5% - of the people at these places are adventurers with any field experience at all (i.e. not 0 xp raw 1st-level types) then you're going to meet enough of them that there's a likelihood of at least someone looking to buy or sell (or both!) some sort of item or other.

Exactly how big are these places in your campaigns ? For me, if there are 20 people at a given time, it's a good day, so you will at best, in large cities, find 1-2 persons who have magic items, so the probability that they have anything to trade and which would be of interest to you is extremely small.

In my game it's no big deal to meet other true adventuring groups or individuals either on the road or in town, and in town it's extremely common to meet non-adventuring people with class levels if you know where to find them, usually in the temples and guilds etc. noted previously.

We just don't seem to meet them often, I guess it's all down to campaign preferences.

Last session I ran the party were inteacting with a small group of Thieves who were initially the party's enemies but have since come to be, if not friends, at least neutral enough to let the PCs overnight at their remotely-located hideout a couple of times (and not even steal from them either!). En route to the swamp said hideout is in they met a small band of (probably lowish-level, the PCs weren't sure and didn't inquire too deeply) adventurers on the road, travelling from one town to another for reasons unknown.

All of that seems really nice and still fairly low level, how does this foster magic item trade? I agree that at higher levels, our adventuring groups have usually many contacts, some with powerful organisations, some of them high level, but somehow magic item trade never comes on the table. Items are private, have a history of being found and used, and not easily parted with.

Moreover, another factor is that in 5e, a lot of items are usable by a lot of people in the party, because there are almost no generic "plusses" items. There might be a few magic weapons, but for example in Avernus, the party still has a use for those that have been found.

If you've never read Nicolas Eames' Kings of the Wyld, give it a look. Adventuring parties in that setting are treated like rock bands. :)

I'll try to have a look, although my reading queue is quite full.

Most guilds and temples worth their salt have some pretty solid defenses against attack or theft just to protect their own goods, never mind any magic items being stored or sold through there.

Temples probably, Guilds I'm not so sure, and who maintains defenses that are strong enough to deter theft, even admitting that trading item is something they do. I rather imagine temples in particular, but also guilds, hoading items secretely for their champions and not advertising that they have a huge wealth in items ready to be stolen.

Where while I don't have Artificer as a capital-C Class I do have it as a profession some non-adventuirng arcanists branch into. (if a PC wizard-type wants to become an artificer, no problem: just retire from adventuring, put in several years of training, and you're good to rock)

As long as having arcanist create items, I'd rather them not be artificers, it's a PC class, and I don't need that for my NPCs who could create items.

Ah - that's another difference: I have magic items being a bit more breakable than that, particularly when hit with big A-of-E damage effects.

We dropped that AD&D thing a while ago, and although some items are lost, I think everyone likes 5e where your treasured few items are not being destroyed every time you miss a save.

It's hard to optimize when everything on the shopping list is randomly generated (maybe with a push toward one thing or another depending on the situation e.g. if a major war has just ended there might be a few more weapons and armour on the market than usual, that sort of thing). That said, if a character wants a specific item and is willing to wait quite a while for it they can always commission an artificer to build it. The problem here is that the character's companions will 99+% certainly want to keep adventuring during the construction time, which can be months or even a year or two, meaning you either retire or risk being dead by the time your item is finished*.

* - yet another reason for items hitting the open market: unclaimed commissions! :)

As mentioned, that kind of thing is sort of OK, it's just tightly controlled, and in most campaigns, adventurers don't have time to wait a few months for commissions anyway.

Many of the non-hereditary nobles in my setting are retired adventurers.

Same for me, but it's still only the non-hereditary...

Easy: if you went to an artificer and commissioned an identical item, what would that artificer charge you. There's your base value; and I've always assumed that to be the basis for the price lists in earlier editions.

As artificers did not exist, I don't think it was the case. 3e did a huge try of assigning monetary value to specific properties, and it sort of worked, and it was linked to the creation cost, but it was the other way around for what you described, it was usability, translated into price, then into creation price.

They may not necessarily prefer thise things in the moments they needs doing, but they do in general prefer the sense of realism they represent, as do I.

Realism is very relative. Playing with a higher level of abstraction is not less realistic, this is what I do at my job every day. And when I'm level 12 with thousands of gold, paying a few coppers for a meal might be realistic, but it's also extremely boring compared to having adventures, which are very unrealistic anyway. They can show a lot of verisimilitude to the genre, though, where you don't see Rand al'Thor worrying about the inventory of his pockets except in significant story-defining moments...

The training itself can be done in the background but the costs can't be waved away so easily, and IMO neither can the in-game time.
That, and downtime is important for numerous other reasons; and one very nice side effect of making characters train into levels is that it forces parties to get out of the field now and then and take some downtime.

Downtime is usually boring too, you know, it's "down". :)

Remove ads