D&D 5E Levels 1-4 are "Training Wheels?"

Dausuul

Legend
I wouldn't have phrased it quite like that, but I agree with the sentiment--the game changes massively when you hit level 5. The martials literally double their damage output in a single level. Casters go from scorching ray to fireball.

If you expect much of the campaign to take place at 5+, then yeah, those low levels will feel like training wheels to players who've been through them before. (If you design the whole campaign to stay in that range, it's different.)

ECMO3

Hero
The game is called Dungeons and Dragons.
I would not be surprised than a fan thinks the game has dragon encounters as a major theme.

If it isn't D&D needs new name.
My son says if it does not have at least one dragon then it can't be a good adventure.

That said, you are not training at levels 1-4. Even at level 1 you have extraordinary powers.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My son says if it does not have at least one dragon then it can't be a good adventure.

That said, you are not training at levels 1-4. Even at level 1 you have extraordinary powers.

What you you thing you're training. Your extraordinary powers.

Backing the old days, in the long long time ago. youdidn't even really count as a member of the class until you hit a certain level. Both 3e and 5e reinforced than by not giving your PC all their core features until 3rd level and not considering you trained until levels 6 and 5 respectively.

You and auto-correct really misspelled "who know how to have an old school good time." really badly.

There are tons of games that have people who enjoy them causally, but have others who strive to develop their skills and seek mastery.

D&D is one such game. Playing D&D is a skill and you can develop it and get better at it. Doesn’t mean any insult to those who just want to play causally.

As I said above, if low level is too meat grinder (which is as disparaging a term as training wheels in my mind)/ boring just start at the higher level that would give you the experience you prefer.

But some people enjoy what you call ‘meat grinder’ play and enjoy the challenge of overcoming greater threats/obstacles beyond what the game considers balanced

Last edited:

J-H

Hero
I teach new players at levels 2 or 3.

I've got 2 new recruits to fill open spots in my high-level (currently 16th) game. We'll do a 3rd level one-shot, then an 11th-level one-shot.

Remove ads