• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Licensees not going to 4e because of poor sales?

AllisterH

First Post
ANyone know any raw numbers?

Actually, nobody knows unless they work for Hasbro I imagine.

The only way we can guess is to figure out based on "similar" sizes.

For example, how many copies does it take to make the NYtimes best-seller list and similarly, how many copies does it take to have a certain Amazon ranking?

cangrejoide

First Post
Thats been one of my issues of Wotc's announcements of doing great and selling out and print runs.

There are NO numbers. None. Zip. As I asked before, anyone know how big the actual print run is? Merles saying "bigger than 3.x" doesnt count.

If the print run is... a million copies, well hell thats great. SOld over 2 million copies and working on the third is incredible.

But if the print run is 50K or 100K...well, that may not be so great. For Wotc.

ANyone know any raw numbers?

well we know that it was greater than 3.5 and 3.0. according to another post in this thread ( or was it on another thread?) Sean K Reynolds that the print run of 3.0 was 100k.

So I guess the print run for 4E was of 100,002 copies or more. :p

Serin_Marst

First Post
Over on The Rouse's blog entry for when they shipped the first run off, some one estimated, based on book weight and number of trucks used, that the initial print run was upwards of 750,000 to 1,000,000 books.

Obviously, this wasn't confirmed (publicly traded company and all) and would have been off if the trucks weren't filled to capacity, but it's a ballpark guess.

The Little Raven

First Post
Try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Times_Best_Seller_list

Doesnt say number, but talks about survey procedure.

And the NYT Bestseller List does not take game or hobby stores into account, so if it's reaching the list without the aid of game or hobby stores (the primary hawkers of the product in terms of brick-and-mortar stores), then it must be selling really well.

If the math for the trucks/weight is anywhere near correct, this was a huge launch.

jadrax

Adventurer
well we know that it was greater than 3.5 and 3.0. according to another post in this thread ( or was it on another thread?) Sean K Reynolds that the print run of 3.0 was 100k.

So I guess the print run for 4E was of 100,002 copies or more. :p

It was reported that - "A WotC spokesperson has informed ICv2 that Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition has already gone back to press more than a week before its scheduled street date next Friday, June 6th. Sell-in of 4th Edition has “far exceeded expectations” and even though the initial print run for 4th Edition was 50% higher than the order for the previous D&D 3.5 Edition, WotC has now realized that it is necessary to go back to press to meet anticipated reorder demand."

So I think we can be safe in saying that even by conservative estimates it was at least over 150k.

xechnao

First Post
Regarding Paizo president's comments on the thread I have to say this:

Since 4e is a D20 game, if 4e core does not sell well, I think this could create the impression that D20 is a seasoned affair, devaluing it. It could create the feeling that people somehow have had enough of it. Since Paizo's future and investment is in D20, I believe it is in their best interests that people think that the 4e core sells well.

Of course this could very well be true. But marketing is not just a one shot affair. It is a continuous process. It seems Wotc and Paizo are playing so far their marketing cards very well.

Waldorf

First Post
The marketplace speaks volumes.

Go to Amazon and read the reviews for the 3e PhB. Now read the ones for the 4e PhB. Take from that what you will.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Hmm...I had no idea this was out yet...nobody has been talking about it as far as I can tell, which is odd since it's one of the first 4e 3pp adventures. However, I did some quick looking around and discovered that it costs $20 for a 36 page printed module or $10 for a 36 page PDF. Comparatively, you can get a PDF of the 116 page Thunderspire Labyrinth for $18. No wonder sales are a bit lackluster...not much exposure and at a rather steep price point.

You know what? You're absolutely right.

Never let it be said that Adamant Entertainment doesn't listen to gamers, and doesn't admit it when we make a mistake.

We've dropped the price, and offered a rebate for folks who have already purchased it.

Thanks for the heads-up, guys.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads