• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Lifetime boycott of D&D-branded products?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I am worried that people wrongly believe that Hasbro-WotC backed down. They did not. Their bad faith remains as bad as ever.
They didn’t back down, no, they’re definitely still trying to de-authorize OGL 1.0. But OGL 1.1 did not “go into effect.” Even if anyone did sign it, their press release today made clear they’re not going through with that draft of the license, and their next draft isn’t ready yet.

They clearly did back down. Not far enough, but there is movement in the correct direction.

I have used a forum feature to reduce the panic level of this conversation. Critizing and acting is one thing, spreading panic and factually false fake news does not help.

So lets just see, what happens in a few days and ignore people who are just don't listen.

Yaarel

He Mage
They didn’t back down, no, they’re definitely still trying to de-authorize OGL 1.0. But OGL 1.1 did not “go into effect.” Even if anyone did sign it, their press release today made clear they’re not going through with that draft of the license, and their next draft isn’t ready yet.
Hasbro-WotC can say to the ones who signed the Anti-OGL, "Too bad, so sad!"

Then offer revised terms for others.

But even any revised version of the Anti-OGL remains full-speed-ahead to kill and dismantle the True-OGL.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
How exactly are you applying more pressure by talking about your disapproval but STILL buying their product? They've got your money, which is apparently not where your mouth is. A one person boycott, true, isn't going to do much. But a broadly followed and publicized boycott that actually applies a significant effect on their returns on a product? That's probably going to have more of an effect than well publicized complaint but not effect on their return.
I think you've misunderstood me. I'm arguing that threatening to boycott a company forever isn't effective because they have no incentive to change. You're never going to be a customer again, so why bother to change? Withholding your dollars and making it clear you're willing to buy from them when the bad behavior changes is, or can be, an effective boycott.

Remove ads