D&D (2024) Lifetime boycott of D&D-branded products?

MGibster

Legend
And suppose the moon is made of green cheese, and all the Hasbro executives were mice, and Elon Musk had a working rocket that could send them to the moon. Do you know what would happen then? Hasbro would destroy the moon, that's what! :)
Oh, wow. This reminds me of an interaction between the class and my history professor when I was an undergraduate.

Student: What if FDR didn't die while in office?

Professor: We don't deal with what if. What if George Washington had still been around? By 1945, he was a sick, sick man.

Me: George Washington or FDR?

Professor: <slightly perplexed for a moment> Right.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
They clearly did back down. Not far enough, but there is movement in the correct direction.
In the same way a car salesman “backs down” from the initial asking price. Make no mistake, WotC’s primary goal here is and always has been to strike down the OGL 1.0. The other stuff, like the royalties, was always negotiable, and probably there mainly to encourage prospective licensees to negotiate better individual deals.

Yaarel

He Mage
I think you're going to get a lot of disagreement on that.
Hasbro-WotC is aiming to stab the heart of the gaming community.

The OGL 1.0a is the heart.

Everything else relating to the gaming community that matters depends on the OGL 1.0a.

Watch this.

When Hasbro-WotC publishes the tweaked version of the Anti-OGL, it will likely say that it "authorizes" the earlier Open Gaming Content released under the OGL 1.0a − meaning they think they can de-authorize it at any moment.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How about a ‘lifetime boycott’ from purchasing new D&D-branded products? (If I were to take this up, I’d still allow myself to pick up used copies.)
No, because companies and corporations are run by people and the people in charge can and will change, as they have in the past.

When there are bad people in charge of the brand, I will not pay their salaries. When there are good people in charge, I see no reason to boycott them based on what their predecessors did.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Oh, wow. This reminds me of an interaction between the class and my history professor when I was an undergraduate.

Student: What if FDR didn't die while in office?

Professor: We don't deal with what if. What if George Washington had still been around? By 1945, he was a sick, sick man.

Me: George Washington or FDR?

Professor: <slightly perplexed for a moment> Right.

Okay, now I am an imagining a 213 year old sick sick George Washington plodding around saying, "Have we got them Nat-zees yet?"

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Hasbro-WotC is aiming to stab the heart of the gaming community.

The OGL 1.0a is the heart.

Oh my god, no a thousand times no! The OGL is not the heart of the gaming community. The heart is the gamers and the games they play, not a freaking license from WotC.

The community existed way before the OGL and will exist way after the OGL!

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Hasbro-WotC can say to the ones who signed the Anti-OGL, "Too bad, so sad!"

Then offer revised terms for others.
Maybe? We don’t even know if anyone actually signed 1.1, and again, all we have of it is a leaked draft.
But even any revised version of the Anti-OGL remains full-speed-ahead to kill and dismantle the True-OGL.
Yes, that is clearly still their intention, and you’re not wrong to emphasize that this is the real issue and WotC have dug in their heels on it. But claiming 1.1 is in effect is just spreading misinformation.

Charlaquin

I think you're going to get a lot of disagreement on that.
Which is kinda weird, since that’s the part that started this whole poop storm. Remember when the rumors that the OGL was going away started, and we all laughed them off because we were so sure it was irrevocable? When nobody was worried because even if WotC released a terrible new license, 3PP could just keep using the old one? Yeah, that switch flipped because the leaked 1.1 draft made clear that they were trying to revoke 1.0 after all. Now WotC says they’re going to edit 1.1 to make it less egregious but they’re still revoking 1.0 and suddenly a bunch of people are fine with it? Did we all get so caught up in the outrage we forgot what we were actually mad about in the first place?

Charlaquin

Attachments

• D35B10DA-8F31-4993-889C-81AE04B63C53.jpeg
    D35B10DA-8F31-4993-889C-81AE04B63C53.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 44

Remove ads