Spelljammer light of xaryxis, what are your thoughts (spoilers for the adventure are almost certain)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I just finished a read throughout of this adventure and was curious what others thought of it. The Spelljammer thread is fairly general, so wanted a more focused thread.

My thoughts (a bit random):

It is COMPLETELY linear. There is no deviation from the forced plot at all and any group that wanted to deviate? The DM is on his own. So any group/DM that's against linear plots? Will likely hate this.

The NPCs seem flavorful and fun, fleshed out enough for the DM to portray and convey them well.

The "fail forward," nature of the adventure will really appeal to some while completely turning off others. Basically, almost every conflict has a way that win or lose the PCs advance to the exact same place. This means the adventure is more like an elongated cut scene with some player input thrown in than a typical adventure.

The nature of the adventure is intended to be epic, the PCs world WILL be destroyed if the antagonists aren't stopped. That's cool and high stakes BUT -

Unless I missed it, the adventure provides no answer AT ALL as to why the "big boys" of whatever world the PCs are on aren't trying to stop the destruction of the world. It's not like it's hidden, the imminent destruction of the world is blatantly obvious and should draw massive attention. This seems a glaring omission.

The ending seems really forced. The rest of the adventure is relatively light hearted and then suddenly the characters have to decide that one of them has to suicide to properly complete the adventure? That's a MASSIVE tonal shift! Yes, there's an option to have an NPC do it, but that seemed lame too.

Ok, those were initial impressions.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

I'm ok with the linear nature of it, since it is billed as such. I like the format of it being 2-3 hour episodes, for about 30-40 hours of content. It doesn't work as a traditonal campaign would, where you go and explore a lot, it is very much a "enjoy this story and get a taste of Spelljammer."

I hate the ending, it is the most nonsensical thing. The adventure itself also isn't super original to me. It reads like if you literally took Elden Ring's deep lore and mixed it with a Death Star and Flash Gordan (which they admit as much here) and then set it loose. I guess that sounds pretty cool, but the ending makes everything really turn belly up for me.

Also, the NPCs you collect along the way DO NOT MATTER. You ALWAYS lose the war. So silly, WotC.

I give the adventure a 6/10. It has fun moments, and other than the ending, I think most newer groups would vibe with it.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I'm ok with the linear nature of it, since it is billed as such. I like the format of it being 2-3 hour episodes, for about 30-40 hours of content. It doesn't work as a traditonal campaign would, where you go and explore a lot, it is very much a "enjoy this story and get a taste of Spelljammer."

I hate the ending, it is the most nonsensical thing. The adventure itself also isn't super original to me. It reads like if you literally took Elden Ring's deep lore and mixed it with a Death Star and Flash Gordan (which they admit as much here) and then set it loose. I guess that sounds pretty cool, but the ending makes everything really turn belly up for me.

Also, the NPCs you collect along the way DO NOT MATTER. You ALWAYS lose the war. So silly, WotC.

I give the adventure a 6/10. It has fun moments, and other than the ending, I think most newer groups would vibe with it.

My son asked me to run it for his group (all 14 year olds). I will likely change the ending a bit, less genocide and less forced character suicide (though, frankly, I know my son's group and 2 of them would immediately volunteer IF I had that forced ending!)

Weiley31

Legend
Unless I missed it, the adventure provides no answer AT ALL as to why the "big boys" of whatever world the PCs are on aren't trying to stop the destruction of the world. It's not like it's hidden, the imminent destruction of the world is blatantly obvious and should draw massive attention. This seems a glaring omission.
Rage of Demons module is happening at the same time; thus, they are pre-occupied with Archdevils.

I don't know: shrugs.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Rage of Demons module is happening at the same time; thus, they are pre-occupied with Archdevils.

I don't know: shrugs.

I mean, any reason will do really. The PCs are supposed to be the stars/focus sure.

But it's just silly to not address it. One of the suggested starting points is in the FR. If Toril is about to be destroyed in an obvious public way - there needs to be SOME reason given why everyone is ok with leaving the problem to a bunch of barely knowns!

Especially considering the bit at the end where the characters get to decide if they actually WANT to save their world or let the astral elves one survive. Not a peep from any bigwigs why?

Again, not the biggest of deals, but it should at least be addressed!

Weiley31

Legend
I will admit that one deviation that I would like to make/add is that there is an option to recruit the assistance of the Elven Imperial Navy to assist at the midpoint of the Coalition vs Commander Vael's Armada fleet which is defending the Imperial Citadel. As long as certain factors are met. The idea is that during the PC's encounter on the citadel with the siblings, the battle is still waging outside ala Return of the Jedi's finale. Because I run my games in the Forgotten Realms, that means Admiral Icarus and his fleet would be assigned to assist in the fight against the Xaryxian Empire because their Crystal Vines are threatening the elven nation of Evermeet, which falls under his jurisdiction of Realmspace.

As for the ending, I don't know, I like the dark tone of the ending. Especially with the Xaryxian Remnant having to operate within the Astral Sea and areas where they now have to deal with the Elven Imperial Navy's jurisdiction as well should the PCs succeed.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
As for the ending, I don't know, I like the dark tone of the ending. Especially with the Xaryxian Remnant having to operate within the Astral Sea and areas where they now have to deal with the Elven Imperial Navy's jurisdiction as well should the PCs succeed.

Yeah, that part can be fun. And for the right group the tonal shift is fine.

But, in general not a fan of "surprise genocide!" The prior tone of the adventure is quite different and this shift can give players to especially younger players, serious whiplash!

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I just finished a read throughout of this adventure and was curious what others thought of it. The Spelljammer thread is fairly general, so wanted a more focused thread.

My thoughts (a bit random):

It is COMPLETELY linear. There is no deviation from the forced plot at all and any group that wanted to deviate? The DM is on his own. So any group/DM that's against linear plots? Will likely hate this.
I haven't read it yet.

Is it time sensitive such that deviations will cause the adventure to fail?
The "fail forward," nature of the adventure will really appeal to some while completely turning off others. Basically, almost every conflict has a way that win or lose the PCs advance to the exact same place. This means the adventure is more like an elongated cut scene with some player input thrown in than a typical adventure.
This is railroady. Pushing the PCs to the same place no matter what they choose means that their decisions ultimately don't matter. Also, what happens if they fail at the very end. With the world on the line, how do they fail forward?
This I don't have a problem with. There could be 3 other threats to the world and a birthday party in Sigil that keep the big boys busy. I always assume other issues have their attention and just don't worry about it. The PCs are all that stand between.
The ending seems really forced. The rest of the adventure is relatively light hearted and then suddenly the characters have to decide that one of them has to suicide to properly complete the adventure? That's a MASSIVE tonal shift! Yes, there's an option to have an NPC do it, but that seemed lame too.
:(

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I haven't read it yet.

Is it time sensitive such that deviations will cause the adventure to fail?

Yes, if the PCs dawdle the world ends, that's pretty time sensitive. The actual time frame is unclear but it's actually many months - so there COULD be deviation BUT

The adventure REALLY pushes the PCs forward to the point that the DM is encouraged to end each session at a specific scene and start from that scene the next session. The adventure is 100% designed to be completely linear with deviation being HIGHLY discouraged and not the least provided for.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
This is railroady. Pushing the PCs to the same place no matter what they choose means that their decisions ultimately don't matter. Also, what happens if they fail at the very end. With the world on the line, how do they fail forward?

Well the DM could let the failure stand. But there is clear provision for a safety net that lets the adventure conclude however the DM wants regardless of how the PCs actually fare. If you're a fan of player agency this adventure will likely sit badly with you.

Edit: though the players do get to pick which system survives, the elves, or the PCs home world. Kind of an odd choice to force in the players, especially since picking their home world then requires a kamikaze run (the before mentioned tonal shift). Though even there, the adventure dilutes it by having an NPC offer to sacrifice himself.

It REALLY necessitates sitting down with the players and making sure they are on board with essentially a comic book/movie in adventure form with extremely limited choice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases