D&D 5E Limitations on Plane Shift?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
So my players are in search of a lost temple (the name of which they have) on another plane. The cleric wanted to plane shift right to the temple despite never having been there (and it's location has been deliberately forgotten because it contains a terrible secret). To my mind that was pushing the capabilities of the spell too far. It seems like it's built for shifting to well known locations (City of Brass is mentioned for example) or the plane in general if no location within is known.

Basically I nerfed it because it was going to wreck the player's enjoyment of exploring a new location (which my party especially enjoys), and just jumping right to the finale. This is also the final adventure for my group (they're now at level 20) so just jumping to the end of the adventure seemed like a great way to end things with a whimper instead of a bang.

The cleric's player was rightfully not super happy initially but came round once I backed up my ruling with an explanation as to how it would nerf the player's fun (including the cleric's player).

I probably should have just blocked plane shift as an option (or better yet, set the expectations clearly when the spell became available. Lesson learned!).

Anyway, for those who have had PCs with access to Plane Shift, how would you have ruled?

Maestrino

Explorer
Plane shift requires a forked metal rod worth at least 250gp attuned to the destination plane of existence as its material component. If they don't have that, it's a no-go. And it also sounds like you have to have at least some idea of where the destination is located, and even then, your arrival isn't super-precise unless you're aiming at a known-to-the-caster teleportation circle.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Plane shift requires a forked metal rod worth at least 250gp attuned to the destination plane of existence as its material component. If they don't have that, it's a no-go. And it also sounds like you have to have at least some idea of where the destination is located, and even then, your arrival isn't super-precise unless you're aiming at a known-to-the-caster teleportation circle.
I skimmed the material components but you're completely correct. And now I feel like a bit of an idiot! :) But fortunately my ruling leaned in the right direction.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
That's a tough one. It would be fair in my view if you had previously established the temple as being a place plane shift could not reach (because of the "deliberately forgotten" bit). Then if the player wanted to cast the spell you could point to that lore as a reason to say it would not work. Failing that, the wording of the spell would seem to indicate that as long as they know the name of the place (which they do) then plane shift is going to work.

One of the features of high-level play is easy transportation, so when designing adventures for characters of those levels, it's something I try to keep in mind. Generally I try to build it into the adventure such that the PCs can see good use out of the spells and only sometimes limit their use to make a challenge more difficult or interesting.

Here, you likely did the right thing - admit the oversight and explain why the player should voluntarily opt not to use the spell for the good of the play experience.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
That's a tough one. It would be fair in my view if you had previously established the temple as being a place plane shift could not reach (because of the "deliberately forgotten" bit). Then if the player wanted to cast the spell you could point to that lore as a reason to say it would not work. Failing that, the wording of the spell would seem to indicate that as long as they know the name of the place (which they do) then plane shift is going to work.

Yep, fortunately the material components requirement saves the day as @Maestrino helpfully reminded me. I sent that to the player and she smacked her head. :)

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
You could also dust off the older Plane Shift rules for use here because of the "forgotten location" mechanic or some magic surrounding the place that "shunts the ability to go straight there with magic".

3.5 PHB said:
From the Material Plane, you can reach any other plane, though you appear 5 to 500 miles (5d%) from your intended destination.

Celebrim

Legend
Did they drop the limitation on the spell that prevented it from being used for precise travel? You used to always end up hundreds of miles from your intended destination.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Did they drop the limitation on the spell that prevented it from being used for precise travel? You used to always end up hundreds of miles from your intended destination.

Yes. If you know the name of a place you appear in or near that place now.

Remove ads