• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Limiting Ranger/Paladin/Other Spells

Chimera

First Post
I have to admit that I'm getting uncomfortable with the idea that Rangers, Paladins and a couple of other classes have unlimited access to a rather large selection of spells.

It wasn't so bad with just the Players Handbook (19 first, 12 second, etc Ranger spells available), but now with the Spell Compendium, there are an incredible 64 first level Ranger spells available to chose from.

((Then you got Clerics and their massive list, while Wizards get to add a mere TWO spells every time they go up a level. Although OTOH, it's tough enough to get people to play Clerics, so I'm not concerned with them here; and Wizards can learn/acquire spells above the automatic few. So let's stick with Rangers and, to a lesser extent, Paladins here.))

I'm considering a House Rule that would limit Rangers to adding 3-5 spells to their repertoise each time they go up in level, starting at 4th level when they first gain spells. Since they have 4 levels where they ONLY have first level spells, this would mean that they would eventually have a list of 12-20 spells to chose from. More than enough. Sure, they might not be as happy about it at 4th level when they only have 3-5, but the whole "Suddenly you can cast any one of sixty four spells" thing just blows my mind.

It also makes them more "customized" in that you need to select them carefully and that Ranger A's list of spells may be completely different than Ranger B's.

Does anyone else have a problem with the "everything is available" and/or has come up with a House Rule to deal with it?

whydirt

First Post
I remember reading about a house rule someone used that limits such spellcasters to a total number of spells equal to those in their PHB list. So a Cleric or Paladin could "learn" a new spell from a supplement, but in exchange access to a spell from the original list would be lost.

Here is an interesting and little-known limitation to the way sorcerers acquire spells.
Player's Handbook said:
At each new sorcerer level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table 3-17: Sorcerer Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table 3-17 are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list (page 192), or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. For example, a sorcerer with a scroll or spellbook detailing an unusual sorcerer/wizard spell (one not on the sorcerer/wizard spell list in this book) could select that spell as one of his new spells for attaining a new level, provided that it is of the right spell level. The sorcerer can't use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.
There's certainly room for interpretation, but my reading of this rule is that a sorcerer needs to find a scroll or spellbook if he wants to learn a spell not on the Player's Handbook spell list. I think this is a great rule, because it gives the DM added leeway about what spells he wants in his campaign.

This rule isn't in place for divine casters, but I think it really should be. Not only does it make things much simpler, but it's also an important weigh to rein in the power of those characters: because divine casters have access to every spell on their list, each addition to a divine caster's list makes that class incrementally more powerful. So: consider limiting rangers (and I'd add, pace your original post, especially clerics) to the spells in the Player's Handbook when they prepare spells, unless they study the spells they find over the course of their careers.

Victim

First Post
On the other hand, I think that the original spell lists for rangers and paladins are critically flawed. They mostly get low level cleric or druid spells, often at higher spell levels than normal. Combined that with their low caster levels and slow access to spells, that makes their casting ability nearly useless - woohoo, Cure Serious Wounds at level 14! It's mostly valuable for letting them use cure wands. The extra spells generally give rangers and pallies some actual ranger and paladin spells, instead leftovers from the other spell lists.

Of course, I haven't seen too many rangers or pallies constantly fiddle with their spells to take advantage of their increased flexibility, so restricting their access probably wouldn't diminish them too much. It might make leveling up more of a pain, and might penalize the more casual players who don't scrutinize spell selections to pick out the best ones.

Vargo

First Post
whydirt said:
I remember reading about a house rule someone used that limits such spellcasters to a total number of spells equal to those in their PHB list. So a Cleric or Paladin could "learn" a new spell from a supplement, but in exchange access to a spell from the original list would be lost.
That was either Piratecat or Sagiro, IIRC. It's a must-rule for any game I run.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I don't have a problem with the idea of a divine caster being able to choose from an infinite number of spells; I've even houseruled out any divine caster's requirement to 'research' new spells. After all, the spells don't come from the character; they come from an unimaginably powerful and limitless divine source. My opinion is that if a DM allows a divine spell, it should be available to any appropriate caster. Of course, I'm very strict about spells from supplemental sources so a ranger would never be able to crack open the spell compendium and pick any old spell he wants without my approval.

Another option would be to turn these classes into spontaneous casters. This would the number of spells thay had acess to, and give you say on evry one they learn without having to make alternate spell lists or inventory every book/magazine that comes out with new spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads