• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Limiting Short Rests to 2x/day

Should Short Rests be artificially limited to 2x/day, potentially allowing for shorter rests?

• Yes, Short Rests should still be 1-hour, but limited to 2x/day.

• Yes, Short Rests should be 5-15 minutes and limited to 2x/day.

• No, Short Rests should still be 1-hour and taken as often as time and circumstances allow.

• No, Short Rests should be 5-15 minutes and taken as often as time and circumstances allow.

• Other, (I'll explain in the comments.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
M’y wish rule would be:
a short rest is a rest of 5 to 60 minutes that you can take a couple of time during the day. The DM will use the current conditions of the adventure to evaluate the time and the availability of the short rest.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I do 10-minute short rests as often as the party wishes to.

But that's just my preference. More to the point though... it doesn't matter what WotC sets their rules as, because each and every DM should be making short rest however long or short they want-- RAW be damned. Change the rules. Make yourself happy. It doesn't matter what WotC puts in their book.

(And if by some chance you are a DM who for whatever reason is stuck running only Adventurer's League games and you don't like the rule for short rests WoTC ultimately puts forth-- unfortunately you are just part of that small sliver of the player base that isn't going to get what you want and you just have to deal with it. If you only play AL, that's just the issue that comes with doing so. And you either accept the length of the WotC-printed short rest as-is and work around it... or you find yourself a table of players outside of AL to run games for, and then you can make short rests whatever length you like.)

Ringtail

World Traveller (She/Her)
Baldur's Gate 3 has no day/night cycle, passage of time, etc.

It makes sense to limit it in that context, since you have no time pressure to limit their use. (Either from hours available in a day, or from an impending threat. Time mostly stands still in BG3.) Similarly this is why Long Rests require camp resources. (I speculate, since I am not a member of Larian Studios.)

So limiting them to 2 a day (or 4 a day, or whatever) feels a little arbitrary for table play. Why? I think as a player I might just find that a little annoying, the GM restricting something like that for an arbitrary reason. Short rests are meant to be taken, they are part of the encounter balance, hence why I support them being shorter, 10 minutes for example.

This is of course subjective, some parties rarely use them so this would change little.

The 5 minute short rest worked great in 4e. The 1 hour short rests in 5e cause inter party problems when everyone has different reasons to rest or not rest. If they designed classes around the assumption that short rest features come back every fight and went back to 5 minute rests, most of the pacing issues of 5e would disappear.

And it would be back to trying to use all your buttons as early as possible so you don't waste anything. Less than half an hour short rests would be a step back. Not forward.
I had rather shifted to only long rest recharges for class abilities and hp regeneration for short rests. And maybe some: during a short rest you can do X abilities (lile rememorizing a spell, identifying something etc.).

Remove ads