D&D General Linda Codega Interviews Critical Roles Marisha Ray and Matthew Mercer

OakenHart

Adventurer
I don't see how not talking about the OGL would be treating them "with kids gloves" when they're not responsible for the OGL. That's on WotC, and frankly this insistence that everyone needs to give their full uncensored opinion on the matter or else they fail some kind of weird purity test on outrage needs to settle down. If they want to, good on them. If not, that's fine too.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Considering the entire interview is happening because of everything surrounding the changes to the OGL...

Regardless of your opinion on them, Critical Role is one of the biggest non-Hasbo influences in the RPG hobby right now. It's perfectly fine if all they can or want to say right now is "no comment", but it would be near negligent for Codega to not to at least ask the obvious elephant in the room question. Personally, I don't have any stakes in CR's opinion on the matter, but I don't blame the people who want to know where they stand.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Considering the entire interview is happening because of everything surrounding the changes to the OGL...

Regardless of your opinion on them, Critical Role is one of the biggest non-Hasbo influences in the RPG hobby right now. It's perfectly fine if all they can or want to say right now is "no comment", but it would be near negligent for Codega to not to at least ask the obvious elephant in the room question. Personally, I don't have any stakes in CR's opinion on the matter, but I don't blame the people who want to know where they stand.
It’s a good gauge for where their fans will go. And there are a lot of critters. If Critical Role creates their own RPG it will almost instantly be the 3rd or 4th best-selling RPG on the market.

If there’s anyone poised to be the “new Pathfinder” in this situation, it’s CR. Kobold and MCDM have been doing great stuff for years, but CR has a much wider reach than both of them put together. PF2E is crunchier than 5E because that’s what their fans want. CR fans very likely don’t.

So CR putting out a new RPG that’s on par with the crunch of 5E or less crunchy…bam. Instant near-top position in the market.

Haplo781

Legend
It’s a good gauge for where their fans will go. And there are a lot of critters. If Critical Role creates their own RPG it will almost instantly be the 3rd or 4th best-selling RPG on the market.

If there’s anyone poised to be the “new Pathfinder” in this situation, it’s CR. Kobold and MCDM have been doing great stuff for years, but CR has a much wider reach than both of them put together. PF2E is crunchier than 5E because that’s what their fans want. CR fans very likely don’t.

So CR putting out a new RPG that’s on par with the crunch of 5E or less crunchy…bam. Instant near-top position in the market.
Critical Role: the RPG, with the d20 logo. Instant bestseller.

Haplo781

Legend
If they were to announce moving away from D&D (which I doubt), I'd rather them support one of the ones already announced rather than make yet another D&D-like. I know Matt Colville is a friend of Matt Mercer's and is working on his own RPG now; let the Matts team up, maybe with Darrington Press making Critical Role content compatible with the MCDM RPG.

I plan to stick with 5E for the foreseeable future, but if the MCDM RPG turns out to be as 4E-inspired as I think it might end up being then I'd be very curious, at least. Colville's Flee Mortals already looks to be a book about designing 5E-compatible monsters that use 4E style rules and concepts, such as explicit monster combat roles.
Making a game with 4e's tactical depth, that's as easy to learn as 5e, would be the holy grail of D&D.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Making a game with 4e's tactical depth, that's as easy to learn as 5e, would be the holy grail of D&D.
When Matt Colville announced MCDM would be making their own game I was hopeful they’d do just that. Considering the tactical depth of many of Matt Mercer’s fights, I hope they do just that. Considering Kobold’s back catalog of 5E material, I hope they do just that. Or…you know…I agree and really want 4.5E D&D to be a thing.

Haplo781

Legend
When Matt Colville announced MCDM would be making their own game I was hopeful they’d do just that. Considering the tactical depth of many of Matt Mercer’s fights, I hope they do just that. Considering Kobold’s back catalog of 5E material, I hope they do just that. Or…you know…I agree and really want 4.5E D&D to be a thing.
's why I want all the past editions released under a CC-BY license.

BRayne

Adventurer

Interview was primarily about Legend of Vox Machina I think:

Remove ads