• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

List of "gish" classes and PrCs?

Thurbane

First Post
Hi everyone,

As much as I dislike the G-word, I was wondering if anyone could point me towards, or help me compile, a list of "gish" classes and PrCs? i.e. Classes that combine skill at arms with arcane spellcasting. Here's what I have so far (far from complete):

Base classes -
Bard
Battle Sorcerer
Duskblade
Hexblade
Warmage

PrCs -
Abjurant Champion
Arcane Archer
Bladesinger
Dragonslayer
Eldritch Knight
Havoc Mage
Jade Phoenix Mage
Rage Mage
Raumathari Battlemage
Runesmith
Spellsword
Suel Arcanamach
Swiftblade

...all help appreicated. I'm thinking of running an offshoot of my campaign where all the PCs will be a "gish" of some sort. ;)

Last edited:

szilard

First Post
I'd put bard on the list.

I'd probably remove Warmage (they can cast in armor, but their BAB, HD, and weapon proficiency don't say "gish"). I'd put Spellthief and Beguiler on the list before them...

Others?

Assassin
Enlightened Fist
Green Star Adept
Havoc Mage
Mindspy
Raumathari battlemage

-Stuart

B4cchus

Explorer
Any gish does well with a level of runesmith. Although it's not your standard gish but wearing heavy armor without ASF is very nice.

Arkhandus

First Post
I don't think Spellthief or Beguiler would fit. I dunno about the Spellthief's base stats or abilities, but Beguilers are not suited to fighting with anything but their wits and their spells. Except maybe for the first 1-3 levels, but that's true of all classes except Warlocks and pure warrior-types.

To add to what was already mentioned....

WIZARDS OF THE COAST
Base Classes
Warlock

Prestige Classes
Arcane Archer (DMG)
Arcane Trickster (for roguish gish-types with all the sneak-attacking; DMG/Tome & Blood)
Assassin (likewise; DMG)
Dragon Disciple (DMG/Tome & Blood)
Pale Master (sorta, in Tome & Blood, dunno if it was reprinted in Complete Arcane)
Vigilante (sorta, in Song & Silence, dunno if it was reprinted in Complete Adventurer)
Maho-Tsukai (Oriental Adventures, it's surprisingly cleric-ish in basic stats despite being a sorcerer PrC)
Shapeshifter (OA)
Blade Dancer (OA, doesn't advance spellcasting but still requires arcane casting and meshes kinda well for a gish, with the magic sword and all)
Harper Scout (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting)
Zhentarim Skymage (FR: Lords of Darkness)

SWORD & SORCERY STUDIOS with MALHAVOC PRESS
Base Classes
Mage Blade (Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved)
Witch (Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved)

ALDERAC ENTERTAINMENT GROUP
Prestige Classes
Ratling Shaman (Rokugan)

SWORD & SORCERY STUDIOS with SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT
Base Classes
Bard (EverQuest RPG Player's Handbook)
Shadow Knight (EverQuest RPG Player's Handbook)

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Arkhandus said:
ALDERAC ENTERTAINMENT GROUP
Prestige Classes
Ratling Shaman (Rokugan)

BASE CLASS:
Myrmidon (Mercenaries)
Guardian (Mercenaries)
(One of these was way too generous; forget which now...)
Tattoo Mage (Mercenaries)

GREEN RONIN:
Thanemage (Advanced Player's Guide)

AFAIAC, Thanemage is the best (balanced/interesting) take on a single class fighter/mage type. (Hexblade has a better concept, but is a bit wanting balance-wise).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads