• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Class Brainstorming. Magekinght.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I suggest something a little more radical. Instead of having set spell slots, have spell slots come on line when you hit something with a melee weapon: 1 hit lets you cast a cantrip once, if you make 2 hits and don't cast a cantrip, you can cast a 1st level spell once, etc. (spells need to be cast before you complete a short or long rest). The maximum level of spell you can cast should be equal to a wizard's at the same level. I would link it to a full caster rather than a half caster, because you aren't going to be casting spells that often compared to either full or half casters. Even assuming the class eventually makes two attacks a round, that is still 5 rounds of combat before you cast a 9th level spell.

This leads to an interesting gimmick for subclasses: each could provide something different magicwise for you to do before you hit something (preferably to better enable you to hit something and to survive the experience).

In my mind, this is the best gish because it makes both the fighter part and the mage part important. It also means this class would shine in hard slogs--when the other casters have ran out of spell slots and reduced to cantrips and regular weapon attacks, this PC is hitting his/her stride.

Now see, that's the kind of interesting an unique mechanic that a core class can be built around! If you are to go that route, I would probably allow the class to get Extra Attacks equivalent to a fighter. This would allow a for the mechanic to have a natural way to progress, so that you are not having to wait multiple rounds or multiple combats at high levels just to get a 5th+ level spell off. The other alternative would be increasing the level of the spell an attack starts with and adding one spell level from there. I.E. at first level your first hit allows you to gain a 1st level spell slot, with subsequent growing the spell slot by one step; at 5th level your first hit allows you to get a 2nd level spell slot, with subsequent hits increasing the slot by one step, ect.

That would actually be a really interesting class.

EDIT: The only problem I can see potentially is how you define an eligible target for the attack. I could see this leading to a new "bag of rats" problem where between combats this character would constantly have a horde of small, low CR critters to kill and refill spell slots.

Zardnaar

Legend
I suggest something a little more radical. Instead of having set spell slots, have spell slots come on line when you hit something with a melee weapon: 1 hit lets you cast a cantrip once, if you make 2 hits and don't cast a cantrip, you can cast a 1st level spell once, etc. (spells need to be cast before you complete a short or long rest). The maximum level of spell you can cast should be equal to a wizard's at the same level. I would link it to a full caster rather than a half caster, because you aren't going to be casting spells that often compared to either full or half casters. Even assuming the class eventually makes two attacks a round, that is still 5 rounds of combat before you cast a 9th level spell.

This leads to an interesting gimmick for subclasses: each could provide something different magicwise for you to do before you hit something (preferably to better enable you to hit something and to survive the experience).

In my mind, this is the best gish because it makes both the fighter part and the mage part important. It also means this class would shine in hard slogs--when the other casters have ran out of spell slots and reduced to cantrips and regular weapon attacks, this PC is hitting his/her stride.

Might be hard to do but perhaps limit it to cantrips and if you hit you can use your reaction to cast them. Its situational damage kind of like the Hunter rangers ability and at low level cantrips don't do to much so maybe level 3 ability on a subclass?

The name Mageknight can be a placeholder, other options are Magus with Duskblade and Swordmages being subclasses. The Swordmage could have some sort of Aegis ability and convert some 4E powers for it.

Your idea for the spell thing is kind of a striker type ability so whaty subclass can do the damage thing (Duskblade?) while the Swoprdmage is more defensive perhaps with a side helping of mobility.

Other ideas I had were an elemental blade ability and a radiant blade AKA Jedi;).

Zardnaar

Legend
Now see, that's the kind of interesting an unique mechanic that a core class can be built around! If you are to go that route, I would probably allow the class to get Extra Attacks equivalent to a fighter. This would allow a for the mechanic to have a natural way to progress, so that you are not having to wait multiple rounds or multiple combats at high levels just to get a 5th+ level spell off. The other alternative would be increasing the level of the spell an attack starts with and adding one spell level from there. I.E. at first level your first hit allows you to gain a 1st level spell slot, with subsequent growing the spell slot by one step; at 5th level your first hit allows you to get a 2nd level spell slot, with subsequent hits increasing the slot by one step, ect.

That would actually be a really interesting class.

EDIT: The only problem I can see potentially is how you define an eligible target for the attack. I could see this leading to a new "bag of rats" problem where between combats this character would constantly have a horde of small, low CR critters to kill and refill spell slots.

Fighters don't get half spells so this is limited to two attacks. However I am looking at the war magic EK ability and it can get situational attacks and damage buffs to make those two attacks hurt more than a fighter. There are a variety of ways to up the Mageknights damage and keep it balanced.

1. Situational extra attacks (can work with Mecha's idea)
2. Extra dice of dmaage (hunter ranger)
3. Arcane strike (similar to Paladin smite)
3. Elemental or radiant bonus dice of damage (similar to hex/hunters quarry)
4. Using cantrips such as green flame blade
5. Int bonus to hit and damage (like Warlocks cha bonus). This perhaps can be a Swordmage ability like the hexblade.

We can also give it encounter powers using the templates out of XGtE.

Last edited:

Thinking about a signature ability, being able to burn a spell slot to enchant a weapon or armour would be interesting. So you could slap on various magical effects (flaming, ethereal, freezing, etc).

Works akin to smite, but lasts longer and works with the idea of a magical warrior.

Intregus

First Post
I'm loving all of this! I was just thinking about making a 1/2 caster and this has given me inspiration! And I totally plan on taking some of these ideas!

Zardnaar

Legend
Thinking about a signature ability, being able to burn a spell slot to enchant a weapon or armour would be interesting. So you could slap on various magical effects (flaming, ethereal, freezing, etc).

Works akin to smite, but lasts longer and works with the idea of a magical warrior.

Yes already thinking along those lines for one of the subclasses. Broadly speaking offensive, defensive and some sort of enchanted/magical weapon type.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm loving all of this! I was just thinking about making a 1/2 caster and this has given me inspiration! And I totally plan on taking some of these ideas!

Well as I said nothign is set in stone and I roughly have 3 subclasses figured out.

Its "gimmick" I suppose is being a half arcane caster with cantrips, not that exciting I suppose but its somewhat unique. I want to idiot proof the base class thugh and by that I mean the basic functionallity of the concept is baked in with various options here and there to tweak the class (archetypes weapon styles etc),

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I think you are still starting by building the class piecemeal, rather than creating an interesting and unique mechanic around which to build the class and its identity. Here are some example abilities I might use.

Sword Magic
At first level you learn to weave magic into your weapon attacks. As a standard action, you can make a weapon attack. On a hit, you can choose A cantrip you know and apply the secondary effect of the cantrip to the target of your attack.

At level 5, your proficiency in this ability increases. Whenever you make this attack, you can add the damage of the cantrip to the attack.

Reasoning: This turns any cantrip into one similar to Green Flame Blade.

Mageknight's Instrument
Level 1 ability. This should be similar to the Pact of the Blade ability from the PHB, except a bonus action to summon and allows the Mageknight to use their weapon as a arcane focus.

Arcane Smite
Beginning at level 2, you can channel spells into your weapon. As a standard action, you make a weapon attack against an enemy. If the attack hits, in addition to the weapon damage you can choose to expend a spell slot and channel a spell you know into the enemy. The enemy immediately becomes the target of the spell, taking any initial damage or initial effect of the spell. The target does not get a saving throw against the initial effects of the spell. However, if the spell has a duration and allows subsequent saves, the target may make them as normal. Additionally, if the spell is normally an area of effect spell or targets multiple creatures, it only targets the creature you attacked. If the spell requires concentration, you must maintain concentration as normal.

Basically turns a spell into a single target spell and denies them an initial save upon a hit, but gives them subsequent saves if it has a duration (such as slow or hold person).

Not only are these abilities interesting and unique, but it also provides a way for this class to function with intelligence as a secondary or even tertiary stat.

So the problem with Arcane Smite (beyond being a smite rip off ) here is multi-classing with a full caster class and getting something like "Feeblemind" and your unstoppable at high levels... I would recommend a 1st level "Shadowblade" with no concentration, so reducing the damage to a 1d6+caster ability +1d6 per slot level above 1st. You get rid of the extra shadow effects for making it a focus. I would recommend force damage because of the lower damage and because that brings it into something more similar to magic missiles and would tie the fluff to that...

Magic Blade
You can dissolve a spell slot of first level or higher using its arcane energies to summon a blue light that stim from your hand and coalesce into the shape of a one handed melee weapon (you choice). It looks like a standard weapon that type but it act as an arcane focus, its does not impede semantic components of spells when it is held in that hand alone even if the spell does not require a material component, and on hit instead of the weapon damage it does 1d6 + caster ability modifier force damage.

At Higher levels: When cast using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher you add 1d6 per spell level used above the 1st.

--So not being concentration, it does not impede casting at all, the damage is low, but because you can scale it its way more powerful than a standard weapon. A fighter with a 1d8 longsword making 5 attacks could average 47.5 damage in a standard turn, a rogue 43.5, this weapon using a 5th level spell slot and making two attacks is about 45, and all of which are subject to the same concentration buffs.

I very much like the Sword Magic concept though.

Yes already thinking along those lines for one of the subclasses. Broadly speaking offensive, defensive and some sort of enchanted/magical weapon type.

Sure, but the base class needs something as well. Something unique that makes you want to play the class. Something that makes it stand out more than a multiclass fighter/wizard.

There needs to be mechanics and flavour that comes up when you describe the class. The descriptors you use when discussing the class without mechanic. "Fights and casts arcane spells" is nowhere near enough.
You're basing it on the paladin. Which is the holy knight that can strike its enemies with divine fury, is immune to fear and poison, and can heal with a touch. Those are the iconic aspects.

What is the mageknight? What does it DO?

Aside from ASI, Extra Attack, and subclass features, the paladin is defined by ten class features, eight or nine of which are unique to the class. What does the mageknight have apart from spells and hitting people with swords? What's the story? What characters can you make than you can't make with just a Fighter McWizard?

Zardnaar

Legend
Sure, but the base class needs something as well. Something unique that makes you want to play the class. Something that makes it stand out more than a multiclass fighter/wizard.

There needs to be mechanics and flavour that comes up when you describe the class. The descriptors you use when discussing the class without mechanic. "Fights and casts arcane spells" is nowhere near enough.
You're basing it on the paladin. Which is the holy knight that can strike its enemies with divine fury, is immune to fear and poison, and can heal with a touch. Those are the iconic aspects.

What is the mageknight? What does it DO?

Aside from ASI, Extra Attack, and subclass features, the paladin is defined by ten class features, eight or nine of which are unique to the class. What does the mageknight have apart from spells and hitting people with swords? What's the story? What characters can you make than you can't make with just a Fighter McWizard?

There is that, the only thing is that a lot of the ideas are "more damage" which I am fine with but "moar damage" is also subclass on the Ranger (hunter) and the Paladin (Avenger).

The existing classes are fairly iconic for a reason and the Paladin perhaps has very iconic abilities, fighter, rogues, ranger for example are mostly titles now. I would rather have a mechanically good class that works over a thing that may or may not work. The EKs war mage thing could be the gish thing, cast a spell and attack. Might be able to word it so you can substitute an attack and since I do not plan of giving this class 3 ro 4 attacks it could work.

I'm fine if we end up with a better gish than the EK even if its not that original, the EK will be the better fighter. The war mage thing could be level 6 ability perhaps as the fighter gets an ASI and the Paladin gets the aura.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads