List of monsters confirmed in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Are we SURE there's only six chapters? I know only six are PICTURED in the Fantasy Grounds preview, but there was supposed to be a DM's guide to the Planes and a description of a "certain extraplanar city"... Maybe these are in a seventh chapter after the Bestiary... or have they been dropped to go in another book?
If there IS another chapter, the Bestiary might not be as long as people think... and the text in the Bestiary section pictured in the Fantasy Grounds preview says "over 100" new monsters, which fits better with 130+, not 200+...

I believe that "a certain extraplanar city" was coming up in an unspecified future product, and not to MToF specfically.

The description on the Roll20 page for the book states "over 230 new monsters": https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/compendiumexpansion/4/mordenkainens-tome-of-foes. Granted, they do tend to have more monsters than the actual stat blocks due to variants, but it shouldn't be excessively lower than that.

Also, as I mentioned in a few posts up, the book is only in the "D" section when it gets to Moloch on pages 176 - 177 (and the "D" is visible towards the bottom of the pages). If it's taken the book 60 pages to just go from "A" to "D" (as the Astral Dreadnought is on page 117), then filling up the remaining 90 pages or so going from "D" to "Z" doesn't seem unreasonable; actually it makes it somewhat unlikely, in my opinion, that there will be significantly fewer pages in the bestiary. Remember that a lot of the monsters that are the focus of the book, such as duergar, drow, both races of gith, and the yugoloths, will be in that section, and all likely taking up some significant page count...

Last edited:

Sibriex preview released:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?634806-Sibriex-stats-and-art!&p=7403229#post7403229

Note that it's on page 137, which is 20 pages after the Astral Dreadnought and 39 before Moloch. So the Demon Princes will be appearing after the run-of-the-mill demons (as there's basically no room for them before in the 20 open pages), so presumably the Archdevils will similarly appear after the basic devils. With only 20 pages to spare for the monsters in the "B", "C" and pre-Sibriex "D" sections, this implies that we won't being a huge number of normal demons, as they would start crowding out the "B" and "C" creatures we already know are in the book. Granted, in my opinion, they would only need the Molydeus, Nabassu, and Rutterkin as the minimum necessary to update, but I would expect to see other demon types as well. This also makes the demodands slightly less likely, as they would need to be squeezed into that fairly restrictive 20 pages. Conversely, the 39 pagers from the Sibriex to Moloch gives us plenty of room for post-Sibriex demons (such as the Wastrilith), the Demon Princes, any creatures that fit between "Demon" and "Devil" (Derro are about the only likely results there), garden-variety Devils (the five types of Abishai for certain, presumably Amnizu and Nupperibo, and likely others), and then any Archdevils before Moloch...

gyor

Legend
Are we SURE there's only six chapters? I know only six are PICTURED in the Fantasy Grounds preview, but there was supposed to be a DM's guide to the Planes and a description of a "certain extraplanar city"... Maybe these are in a seventh chapter after the Bestiary... or have they been dropped to go in another book?
If there IS another chapter, the Bestiary might not be as long as people think... and the text in the Bestiary section pictured in the Fantasy Grounds preview says "over 100" new monsters, which fits better with 130+, not 200+...

It might be an Appendix along with an Appendix on NPC templates.

Someone over on Reddit posted the MToF monsters that appear on the new AL adventure:

Allip (CR 5)

Duergar Stone Guard (CR 2)

Duergar Warlord (CR 6)

Eidolon (CR 12) & Eidolon- Sacred Statue

Elder Oblex (CR 10)

Star Spawn Hulk (CR 10)

Star Spawn Mangler (CR 5)

Star Spawn Seer (CR 13)

gyor

Legend
Someone over on Reddit posted the MToF monsters that appear on the new AL adventure:

Allip (CR 5)

Duergar Stone Guard (CR 2)

Duergar Warlord (CR 6)

Eidolon (CR 12) & Eidolon- Sacred Statue

Elder Oblex (CR 10)

Star Spawn Hulk (CR 10)

Star Spawn Mangler (CR 5)

Star Spawn Seer (CR 13)

I'm curious as to what a Elder Oblex is.

ScaleyBob

Explorer
Those Star Spawn names make me think that they're new versions of the Foulspawn instead of the 4E Star Spawn, unless there's several others in the book.
I'll be happy to see 5E versions of the Foulspawn, but I was really hoping for 5E versions of the 4E Star Spawn as well. Those monsters were awesome in concept, and in play.

Remove ads