ZEITGEIST List of Pop Culture References in Zeitgeist

Frankie1969

Adventurer
I'm horribly embarrassed for both myself and the entire EnWorld community that no one has mentioned SB Yamato (aka Star Blazers) until this moment.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
A unique battleship,
using new technology,
from another land,
to power a short-range,
slow-charging,
forward-fixed,
but devastating weapon.

Is there some other source material for that?

Babylon 5 - Crusade had the same concept.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Babylon 5 - Crusade had the same concept.
I'm a fan of JMS, but...
1: He's lying; Crusade comes from SBY. They're even on a mission to save Earth from alien-inflicted illness.
2: He's a repeat offender. The monastery in DoFS isn't from Canticle, my ass.

Also, Coaltongue is more similar to Yamato than to Excalibur.

Lylandra

Adventurer
I already had the feeling when we first met them in adventure 6, but due to a recent game release, I cannot help but wonder whether Rush and Merton are hommages to Reno and Rude from FF7. The similarities between Reno and Rush are exceptionally striking, even if Reno lacks the immovable rods.

That similarity isn't intentional. The duo came from a game I co-GMed back in '04, where my friend and I just brainstormed funky gadget weapons, and he came up with the personalities.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Aww, but I really like both duos.

Also, now that we finished, I got to take a glimpse into the source material myself and see what I can find.

My first original find back in the days had been the von Recklinghausen doctors which might or might not be another coincidence: Heinrich von Recklinghausen - Wikipedia - his dad is referenced there, too

(As a sidenote: Almost bursting into laughter because you just hear the name Morbus Recklinghausen in a diagnostic lesson with the other teachers/students not knowing what's going on was quite the moment)

Also, from #13:

World of Ruin - oh my, FF6 again. The world map in the second half is called World of Ruin and I'd totally make that joke in my recaps :D
You're my only hope - Star Wars, Princess Leia's famous quote "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope"
God is dead - Quote from philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche

from #12
Rock of Ages - a movie, a rock festival and also a reference to the Rock of Cashel (which is referenced as the "stone of destiny" in other fiction)

Remove ads