Literary (and other) settings wishlist

Draksila

First Post
Actually, I wouldn't be opposed to Landover... have to agree with Alas on that one.

And, just for a change of pace? The multiple worlds of Robert Asprin's Myth series. Who wouldn't want a Pervect in the party?

Orius

Legend
I'd also like to see David Eddings' Elenium and Tamuli (the Sparhawk books) translated to games. Yeah, I know they're not the best literature, but they're fun and I think a good potential campaign setting.

No need to apologize; they're among some of my favorite novels, too. :) Yes, I acknowledge that they have flaws, but--as you say--they're a lot of fun. Sort of the fantasy literature equivalent of an exciting and reasonably well-written summer popcorn movie. I actually prefer them to the Belgariad (and Mallorean) series, even though I read those first.

I'm not 100% certain that there's enough unique about the setting (as opposed to the characters) to make for a full-fledged campaign setting, but I'd love to see someone try it and prove me wrong. :)

I think it could be done. Most characters would probably have classes like fighter or rogue anyway. Cleric and wizard is doable, though most of those characters would probably be Styrics. I wouldn't necessarily make the various knight order paladins, since that doesn't quite fit, I'd probably go with prestige classes in 3e or some kind of paragon path or whatever in 4e.

I did come up with some ideas for doing the Belgariad and Mallorean under the 3e rules, though. Nothing really deep, just a bunch of notes I scribbled on a piece of paper (didn't develop it because I probably wouldn't ever play it anyway), and a partial write up of the Alorns as a PC race. If anyone's really interested, I could fork a new thread. Even though the stuff was 3e, there's probably stuff that an be worked into 4e, or the people sticking with 3.x might find it interesting too.

I wouldn't necessarily make the various knight order paladins, since that doesn't quite fit, I'd probably go with prestige classes in 3e or some kind of paragon path or whatever in 4e.

Well, you could model the knights as fighters (or heck, even rangers or rogues with the right builds and feats), and give them all Ritual Casting and/or multiclass feats for cleric or paladin powers.

But I think you could go with paladin. Since the various knightly orders are all religious orders, and paladins no longer have to be lawful good or even honorable, I think they could be made to fit, at least for some of them. (Knights that don't use much magic, like Kalten, notwithstanding.) Heck, I think some knights could even be clerics.

Obviously, you'd have to tweak some of the magics for flavor, but that's going to be the case with almost any literary setting translated to D&D.

Midnight Dawns

First Post
I did come up with some ideas for doing the Belgariad and Mallorean under the 3e rules, though. Nothing really deep, just a bunch of notes I scribbled on a piece of paper (didn't develop it because I probably wouldn't ever play it anyway), and a partial write up of the Alorns as a PC race. If anyone's really interested, I could fork a new thread. Even though the stuff was 3e, there's probably stuff that an be worked into 4e, or the people sticking with 3.x might find it interesting too.

Could you please fork it? I would be interested in attaining this information.

I think Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series of books would make for a good setting, esp if we get some good 4e psionics. Even so, I think most of the powers the books present could be represented pretty well within the ruleset, psi specific rules or no.
There's a licensed treatment for the Fudge system. Not very good for 4e, the Deryni universe is far too realistic. Main characters probably wouldn't rate above 2nd level in the 4e universe in terms of survivability.

Orius

Legend
Well, you could model the knights as fighters (or heck, even rangers or rogues with the right builds and feats), and give them all Ritual Casting and/or multiclass feats for cleric or paladin powers.

But I think you could go with paladin. Since the various knightly orders are all religious orders, and paladins no longer have to be lawful good or even honorable, I think they could be made to fit, at least for some of them. (Knights that don't use much magic, like Kalten, notwithstanding.) Heck, I think some knights could even be clerics.

Obviously, you'd have to tweak some of the magics for flavor, but that's going to be the case with almost any literary setting translated to D&D.

Yeah, I'm thinking pre-4e too. Of all the major knight characters, Bevier's about the only one I would definitely put into the old paladin class. Sparhawk might qualify as well (he's even got a bonded mount, though NOT a Poke-mount), though he's more of the paladin devoted to duty rather than faith. Kalten however, is too dumb to use magic and would have to be a fighter. :p

Clerics though would be restricted largely to the Styrics, given the whole nature of how magic is presented in the setting.

Could you please fork it? I would be interested in attaining this information.

I'll look for it and post a new thread.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Someone else mentioned Arcanum, which I think might actually work rather well in GURPS (oh god don't hurt me please). I know those same people did Fallout earlier, and Fallout was flat out supposed to be GURPS originally.

Also, and I'm not sure what system would do it best, but maybe a pre-Oblivion Elder Scrolls setting. I say pre-Oblivion because that took all the awesome other-worldliness of the previous games and went "HEY I KNOW LET'S JUST FORGET THAT AND MAKE IT GENERIC JOLLY OLD ENGLAND." But the older stuff, Morrowind and Daggerfall especially, I think would be a great PnP setting.

ashockney

First Post
bard's tale!

I would never have thought of that, but I love it.
I would enjoy shannara.
Or I would like another treatment of The Lord of the Rings.

Roland55

First Post
I would definitely agree with Smith's Zothique and Averoigne plus Vance's Dying Earth ... though each would require authors with real skills (just to keep the mood right).

Have you thought of E. R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros? Or perhaps Zimiamvia?

Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword has much to like, set as it is in the first part of the second millenium.

Harrison's classic In Viriconium has its points of interest.

If you have not already read it, you will find much of interest in Wizardy and Wild Romance - a Study of Epic Fantasy by Michael Moorcock. He is a harsh and even (sometimes) angry critic, but this work is an excellent piece of academic criticism. The insights gained from his analyses should be very helpful to you.

Remove ads