• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

literary campaign settings you'd like to see

rackabello

First Post
Limper said:
For the record....

Lankhmar: Has been done by TSR back in the 2e days.
right, and many of it's legendary heroes, villains and critters were in the 1e Deities & Demigods. while i'm not familiar with the 2e version, it seems like it's not very well thought of. i guess i'm wishing to see it done right.

Last edited:

Erekose

Eternal Champion
I'd love to see an official version of David Gemmel's Drenai saga - from the books the stories lend themselves to a D&D/D20 system.

Limper

First Post
Many of us old timers were fond of the 2e version... there was a Main book and around four adventures published all in all.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Well, Terry Pratchetts Discworld would be an entertaining setting for adventures - I could even imagine it as a serious setting because his internal consistency is pretty good :)

nsruf

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Well, Terry Pratchetts Discworld would be an entertaining setting for adventures - I could even imagine it as a serious setting because his internal consistency is pretty good :)

I'd love to see that, especially as GURPS Discworld is an excellent sourcebook for Roleplaying in the Discworld Universe, but the GURPS system is too complicated for the setting, IMO. But it seems to me you could do a conversion easily using D&D core books and GURPS Discworld. The only problem would be that you can't just publish it, even under the d20 license, but that holds for all other literary settings as well.

As for other settings, I would love to see some literary SF settings, just to see how they fare under d20 rules. Apart from Traveller 20, which is still in the works AFAIK, all settings published so far are using the magic+technology blend. But I would like to see some with little or no supernatural powers involved. Like Larry Niven's Ringworld or Isaac Asimov's Foundation universe.

JoeGKushner

First Post
The question is more difficult than it first seems. After all, we have almost a hundred years of fantasy, ranging from pulp to modern epics.

For me, I'd love to see the whole Eternal Champion thing boiled down in D20. Not just Elric or Hawkmoon, but a sourcebook for each with a book on the Eternal Champion concept itself and how the balance and the sword, the champion and the companion, work through different times, eras, and each other.

Next up, I'd like to see that series by C.S. Friendman, one of the books is Black Sun Rising I believe.

I loved the variosu books by Weis and Hickamn about the Death Gate series but hated the end. Seemed very "Oh. That's it? Okay."

The Raymond Feist Magician series with a timeline that allow the GM to determine when and where he'd place the campaign.

Others have already mentioned some of the more often hit upon subjects.

Conan.

Fafrd & Gray Mouser.

Thieves World (They just came out with a new novel on Sanctuary. Any good?)

(What's the name of the other race? Derynia? I know Fudge has a book coming out about 'em...)

Morgainie (The C.J. Cherryh books.) Be good for mixing up some sci-fi with fantasy. More towards the latter than former.

The Horelord/Dragonlord/etc.. series. Pretty interesting stuff when I first read it all those eyars ago...

I'm sure there are hundreds more we could and will think of.

Garmorn

Explorer
David Weber's Oath of Sword and War God's Own would make a wonderful world. It has all the trapings of a D&D world while being very conherent and playable.

Vaxalon

First Post
Reno said:
Roger Zelazny's Amber series, yes I know about Amber Diceless, but have heard it is really not all that good.

You're entirely wrong.

ADRP's main problem is that it's VERY highly GM-sensitive. A bad GM can foul it up VERY VERY badly.

On the other hand, a good GM and good players can make for the best roleplaying you've ever had.

It's roleplaying without a net. If I could find enough people who were familiar with the books and were interested in playing, that's what I'd be doing, and I probably never would have shown up here at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads