• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Little Changes with Big Flavor

WSmith

First Post
Which is my favorite? Are you kidding? What is this Sophie's Choice? ;)

Really there are so many ideas I just can't pick one out.

tsadkiel

Legend
Something I've always meant to try . . .

Replace the "natural" ecology of the world with a different ecology. Dinosaurs as natural beasts of burden would be interesting; Pleistocene megafauna might be even cooler. For a really strange world, perhaps the PC races are the only vertabrates on the campaign world (descended from a lost planetary colony, perhaps?) magically enlarged and shaped vermin fill the gaps; enormous centipedes serve as a public transportation device, children keep cat-sized beetles as pets, and knights mounted on giant ants clash in the shadow of colossal war spiders.

pensiv

Explorer
in a campaign world I made a long time ago, the "beasts of burden" were actually a sentient race. They had their own culture and society, but chose to serve humans as mounts and the burdened.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Something I've always meant to try . . .

Replace the "natural" ecology of the world with a different ecology. Dinosaurs as natural beasts of burden would be interesting; Pleistocene megafauna might be even cooler. For a really strange world, perhaps the PC races are the only vertabrates on the campaign world (descended from a lost planetary colony, perhaps?) magically enlarged and shaped vermin fill the gaps; enormous centipedes serve as a public transportation device, children keep cat-sized beetles as pets, and knights mounted on giant ants clash in the shadow of colossal war spiders.

Wonderful suggestion, tsadkiel, and a staple of pulp fantasy/sci-fi literature, from John Carter of Mars through Star Wars. The heroes don't just fight inhuman monsters, they find a land filled with eight-legged-lizard beasts of burden, flowers that can be milked, herds of nerfs (whatever a "nerf" might be), etc.

darklight

First Post
tsadkiel said:

Yeah, I once had a dream where the beasts of burden were horse-sized beetles. Unfortunately the beetles were hard to control, and very strong, so they could wreak a lot of havoc. Someone came up with a solution for this: He killed the beetle, and then implanted some sort of computer-like device in its nervesystem, replacing the brain. This way he could control the beetle, although it moved a little erratically and a bit slower. (I guess you could call it technological undead:cool: ) In my dream, the beetles somehow retained sentience after death, and eventually revolted, causing major mayhem :eek:

Funny, the things your brain can think up when you're sleeping:D

darklight

Remove ads