• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Living Greyhawk CANCELLED in 2008 - rpga report

Imruphel

First Post
Oh no... does that mean that priestesses of Sune named after pr0n "actresses" will eventually find their way into canon products?

Emirikol

Adventurer
That's not the only unsavory aspect.. wait..is that unsavory? ;)

jh
the last few remaining molecules of unlicensed and unapologetic testosterone have emerged!

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Agamon said:
Yeah...wasn't this old news, though?
What is news is that it is an official announcement, not a secondhand scribbling by someone who sat in on a seminar. The wording of "triumphant end" left room for interpretation that it might have just been the current plots ending and then a campaign reset or leap forward.

Glyfair

Explorer
Eric Anondson said:
The wording of "triumphant end" left room for interpretation that it might have just been the current plots ending and then a campaign reset or leap forward.

The announcement doesn't read that way. It lists 3 campaigns ending (Living Greyhawk, Xen'drik Expeditions & Living Kalamar). It lists two campaigns starting in 2008, Living Forgotten Realms & an unnamed campaign (ala Legacy of the Green Regent, and Xen'drik).

If they were going to restart Living Greyhawk in 2008 they would certainly announce it. If they were planning on restarting it soon after 2008, I'm sure they would say so, just to keep the negativity to a minimum. It certainly seems to me that the plans are for it to disappear for the forseeable future.

Now, knowing what I know about the fanaticism of Living Greyhawk players (some going so far as playing in Xen'drik Expedition adventures at GenCon in order to "sabotage" the campaign), I think this will have a very strong fan reaction. If the fan reaction is negative (like my above mentioned situation) then it could be very bad. However, if the reaction is constructive (fan demonstration of loyalty to campaign, petitions, polite boycotts of other RPGA events) then I think it might move starting a new one being fast tracked.

Of course, the non-living campaign could be Greyhawk. I know that various Living Greyhawk players are against the "bump" model.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

You know, I'm kinda amazed that there may be still some people about that cling to the belief that Greyhawk is somehow still important or relevant to WOTC. It seems to me that the World of Greyhawk has long since been abandoned, and it's beaten and dead carcass has only been grudgingly kept around--and occasionally *pimped*--for the sake of nostalgia, or to maintain some farsical pretense that Greyhawk really isn't dead.

Sad to say, Greyhawk has long been officially ignored, beaten down, neglected, and virtually buried.

Greyhawk is gone. People really should spare themselves the ongoing anguish, disappointment, and frustration, and let go of the belief or hope that WOTC is going to do anything meaningful with Greyhawk.

For WOTC, Greyhawk is dead.

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Glyfair said:
The announcement doesn't read that way.
I did not refer to the official announcement. I referred to ashockney's post on ENWorld's front page that said"

"Living Greyhawk – will be coming to a triumphant close next year, and they will be starting fresh with a new batch of characters and players. This will be discussed tonight or tomorrow"​

Insight

Adventurer
Eric Anondson said:
I did not refer to the official announcement. I referred to ashockney's post on ENWorld's front page that said"

"Living Greyhawk – will be coming to a triumphant close next year, and they will be starting fresh with a new batch of characters and players. This will be discussed tonight or tomorrow"​

The "they" in that probably references RPGA and not LG. At least that would make sense based on what else has been said. LG ends and the RPGA moves on with new characters and players (LFR & "other")

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads