• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Loki! (spoiler thread)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Some of them would have to know the secret sauce, that TVA agents are variants and not "created" by the Timekeepers.

Not necessarily.
A variant comes in, comes before a judge. The judge, following orders or procedure says either, "Prune them" or "Go through that door". Pruned ones go to the end of the universe. As for the others...

Kang super-science occurs to the variant as they pass through the door - old memories get wiped.

Mindwiped new agent walks out a door in some other part of the TVA . Agents there are told that new agents who need training come out that door. They get processed and trained.

Dire Bare

Legend
Not necessarily.
A variant comes in, comes before a judge. The judge, following orders or procedure says either, "Prune them" or "Go through that door". Pruned ones go to the end of the universe. As for the others...

Kang super-science occurs to the variant as they pass through the door - old memories get wiped.

Mindwiped new agent walks out a door in some other part of the TVA . Agents there are told that new agents who need training come out that door. They get processed and trained.
Well sure, you could write a mechanism for new TVA recruits. But we didn't get any of that. They didn't specifically bring up the idea of "new recruits" in the show, but it was pretty heavily implied they'd all been working together for millennia.

Dire Bare

Legend
Renslayer seemed like she had access to more knowledge than the others at the TVA.
Did we watch the same show? Renslayer had no idea what was going on behind the curtain. She was shocked to find the Timekeepers were fake, but decided to stay "loyal" and prune Mobius because she couldn't stand the idea of losing the mission, she convinced herself the mission was still important.

Did we watch the same show? Renslayer had no idea what was going on behind the curtain. She was shocked to find the Timekeepers were fake, but decided to stay "loyal" and prune Mobius because she couldn't stand the idea of losing the mission, she convinced herself the mission was still important.

Knowing the timekeepers were fake and knowing that variants are being recruited are different things. Of course I have no idea, this is just a theory, I'm keen to re-watch the series from the start and look for more clues.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well sure, you could write a mechanism for new TVA recruits. But we didn't get any of that. They didn't specifically bring up the idea of "new recruits" in the show, but it was pretty heavily implied they'd all been working together for millennia.

I was merely speaking to the illogic of saying that "someone must know". I just wanted to demonstrate that there are (for this show) plausible ways that nobody knows.

But, now that you mention it, "For millennia" hardly has any meaning within a place outside the normal timeline, and people whose memories have been altered.

But, we can even keep that clean, in which recruits are gathered all the time at the TVA, but they are inserted as new agents at the beginning of the TVA. We do not know, and should not assume, that logical paradox means anything for the TVA. The TVA can start with its full complement, but they are recruited later.

Time travel can give you such a headache.

Davies

Legend
I don't even know who Kang is.....did they even say "Kang" yesterday? (note, they may have, the sound was down low at home, and my remote doesn't work for the stereo, and I was too lazy to turn it up or admit to my wife I couldn't hear it all.....)
They did not, but Kang's best-known sobriquet is "Kang the Conqueror", and He Who Remains referred to himself as 'a conqueror' among other things.

Remove ads