Loki! (spoiler thread)

Thomas Shey

Legend
Maybe. Or perhaps he was the MCU version of He Who Remains, and we haven't seen the version of Immortus yet...

Hard to see what distinctive difference there'd be, unless you're referring to a comic version of the character, since I'm waaaay out of touch with it (my last extensive contact with comics was, uh, 20 year ago?)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I just figured He Who Remains was the MCU version of Immortus.
We,the audience, dont actually know who Immortus is - as much as the MCU has conquered World Wide Media, even in geek circles (like Enworld) there are only a very small group of Marvel villains who could be considered recognisable names - Kang isnt one of them, let alone his variants

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, I thought the TVA was in some way outside time, and unaffected by all the timelines and branches and stuff. Looks like that's not the case though, and we were seeing a TVA, in a specific branch. Loki's returned to a different one.

The director says "Our interpretation of it was that [Sylvie] thinks that she’s sending him back to the TVA that we know, but because of what’s happening outside that window, it’s on into another branch and it is a different version of the TVA. That reality as we know it, has changed."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We,the audience, dont actually know who Immortus is

We, the audience, don't know that Kang had a not-very-interested love interest... but Ravonna has been there for the entire series.

"We don't know who that is," doesn't mean they can't be using the concept.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, I thought the TVA was in some way outside time, and unaffected by all the timelines and branches and stuff. Looks like that's not the case though, and we were seeing a TVA, in a specific branch. Loki's returned to a different one.

I'm not convinced they have a consistent model for what the TVA is. I don't think, in plotting it, they are sticking to any rules for how the stuff behaves.

Janx

Hero
I'm not convinced they have a consistent model for what the TVA is. I don't think, in plotting it, they are sticking to any rules for how the stuff behaves.
Giving this a little bit of thought, maybe that's not right. try this out:

Pre threshold, there's a single time line because the TVA prunes the branches.

As such, the TVA may be indistinguishable from being part of the timeline or outside of it. If it was outside, it would behave like it had a single timeline. It's even reasonable to conclude that occupying a space outside all the time lines has it's own timestream and branch risks. Since they don't seem to be dealing with those, it's more probable that they exist somewhen in the single time line.

Remove ads