• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lolth in D&D Next and Setting Hopping

Kaodi

Hero
Ummm... what?
IGN UK said:
Players of D&D may have already recognised the Spinner of Chaos as an aspect of Lloth, the Forgotten Realms Dark Elven goddess. Lloth has gradually risen to eclipse the other evil gods of that world - indeed, it appears she might be the main antagonist in the plot reveals of the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition, AKA D&D Next.
When were these plot reveals, and if they are true, should they not be featured on the 5E Info Page (7E, *grumble, grumble*) ? Article here: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Menace of the Underdark - PC Feature at IGN

If what is happening in DDO is actually a model of what the settings in D&D Next are going, then... pain... Lolth as the new goddess of magic, and moving between settings as standard? I fear for the future of D&D fluff...

Edit: Intro video for Menace of the Underdark:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AZoKjlWnPg[/ame]

Last edited:

dkyle

First Post
Lolth featuring prominently in DnD Next isn't surprising, since it's confirmed to be a part of the game from the start, possibly the default setting. That doesn't mean cross-setting stuff will be standard, though. DDO is crossing settings out of necessity. It started in Eberron, and playing in FR wouldn't be feasible otherwise.

Also, Lolth is trying to become the Goddess of Magic; that could just be a plot hook, not something that actually comes to fruition in the setting materials.

I play DDO, and there have been rumors that Turbine is being actively consulted on 5E, and that WotC wants to tie DDO together with the PnP game more, but doubt they would go so far as to make an Ebberon/FR bridge a standard part of those settings.

S

Sunseeker

I hate it when people misspell her name.

She isn't "yoth", she's "Lolth."

You know, correct as that may be, I can't help promouncing that as LAWLth.

And that just means I can't take her seriously.

CM

Adventurer
If I remember correctly, Realms-Lolth is plotting to usurp the domain of Magic in Faerun, which has been vacant since the death of Mystra. Some of the upcoming FR novels discuss this. The part about eclipsing other evil gods is just fluff. All the mess about portals linking Eberron and Faerun are just a means to get the D&D Online players over to Faerun in order to play the new expansion. I think you're reading too much into it.

I imagine there might be a 5e adventure path where the intrepid adventurers work to prevent this from happening (and I'd be happy to throw down money for it).

Incenjucar

Legend
No, it's Lolth in Forgotten Realms as well. "Lloth" is a misspelling that they've retroactively canonized as "the Drow spelling of her name" but her name was always meant to be "Lolth."

Your desire to cling to what was meant to be does not change what actually is. They can of course CHANGE that if they desire to do so, and I'd be all for them doing so.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads