• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lolth in D&D Next and Setting Hopping

Shemeska

Adventurer
So they changed it again?

Because I have books from prior editions that say "Lloth."

If they changed it to Lolth though, that's great.

It was Lolth in 3e at least. Can't speak to 1e or 2e offhand. As I recall the instances of Lloth were fairly limited, possibly one author, and later IIRC they retconned what originated as a spelling error into a variant spelling used by some drow exclusive to one drow city in FR.

Incenjucar

Legend
It was Lolth in 3e at least. Can't speak to 1e or 2e offhand. As I recall the instances of Lloth were fairly limited, possibly one author, and later IIRC they retconned what originated as a spelling error into a variant spelling used by some drow exclusive to one drow city in FR.

It was in 2E, certainly. May have been specifically the Menzoberranzan boxed set? Been too long to be sure, and my books are very far away. Not a big deal. We're also derailing this topic quite thoroughly.

--

I have to say, I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of drow becoming that huge of a focus. They're well on their way to becoming sparkly vampires.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
IGN UK said:
it appears she might be the main antagonist in the plot reveals of the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition,

Is...is that English they're trying to write? How cute.

I can't parse that sentence well. "Main antagonist in the plot reveals"? Is reveals a noun, there? Or a verb, like it is...everywhere else? Is that supposed to be "in the plot revelations?" Or maybe, "Revelations about the plot of the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition indicate she may be the main antagonist."

If it is a noun, I don't see how that can have any bearing on D&D5e, since D&D5e probably doesn't really have "a plot?"

Or, if it does have a plot, that's...um...certainly not going to interest most of the people who play D&D. Since, y'know, part of the fun of the game is coming up with your own plots and stories?

So, yeah, I'm leery. D&D is a set of rules. It doesn't have a plot in and of itself.

Of course, Lolth will be in 5e, and of course she will be in FR, and of course she'll feature prominently there, and maybe even she'll try to usurp the power of magic, and maybe even she will be the God of Magic in the PHB, sure. I could potentially see all of that.

Though the Eberron/FR DDO crossover thing is pretty silly, even if they try to pseudo-canonize it in the 5e stuff, I can't imagine that 5e's "plot" will have much bearing on the 5e game.

My bet is just that IGN staffers are underpaid six year olds with a tenuous grasp of language, and that Lolth might make a prominent appearance in early stuff because she is a pretty iconic antagonist. NBD, really.

No matter how I might feel about Lolth, drow or dimension-hopping personally, I think it's perfectly logical that the Demon Goddess of Spiders would try to take over "The Weave". Think about it.

Guess this means my dreams of Lolth being reverted back to a potent demon lord, and not being a god at all, are dashed for at least one more edition. :(

Ah, well. It's not too late for Vecna to be just an ancient, legendary lich again, or Tiamat the queen (but not goddess) of chromatic dragons.

Guess this means my dreams of Lolth being reverted back to a potent demon lord, and not being a god at all, are dashed for at least one more edition. :(

Ah, well. It's not too late for Vecna to be just an ancient, legendary lich again, or Tiamat the queen (but not goddess) of chromatic dragons.

Semantics. Or more accurately, semiotics. Nothing changes in the nature of an entity when you name it deity, except for the perceptions of those who put power in that word. Can Lolth grant a priest magical powers? Of course not! Divine magic is fueled by faith, not by an immortal entity. The priest could believe in the supremacy of a plate of spaghetti, and she would be just as able to cast spells. Lolth is nothing but an icon, a symbol, a fetish for the faith of this madwoman who thinks the whims of an eight-legged sorceress are a valid foundation for a life and culture.

All that happened was that Zuul asked Vecna, Tiamat, and Lolth, "Are you a god?" And they were smarter than Ray.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads