• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lolth in D&D Next and Setting Hopping

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
2) There's an official "plot" to the new edition?
3) The Realms are the default setting? Shouldn't they be in the old-folks home, keeping Greyhawk and Krynn company? Please never publish anything for these three settings ever again -- they're done. The Realms might have enough life in them to warrant a one-off article in Dragon, but that's about it.
This has nothing to do with 5e. Remember that the new edition is at least a year out (probably much longer). This is just a marketing thing for the next few months of 4e. Like how last month everything was Elemental-themed, and before that when everything was Neverwinter-themed.

variant

Adventurer
To me, Forgotten Realms is just worthless. It was really wearing on me in 3e, but the major changes to the world leading up to and for 4e just completely and utterly ruined it for me. Even if they retconned it, I will never go back. I also completely despise Eberron, so there really isn't an official campaign setting for me to actually play.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Walker said:
Even without getting into Spelljammer and Planescape, the crossover is an element intrinsically woven into the Realms.

Don't get the undies too twisted. ;) I said it's silly. In the context of FR, setting-jumping makes some sense (even if it's always been some of the most extravagant silliness of the setting). In the context of Eberron, it makes a lot less sense. It's a rather blatant attempt to capitalize on Lolth's and FR's popularity by jamming them into a very different setting. Eberron's Drow are a different beast than FR's, and have an awesomeness all their own. Instead of trying to realize their own awesomeness, they decided to import FR's. Which is a little narmed.

Of course, I'm of the radical opinion that just because someone thinks X is awesome is no reason to jam X where it doesn't belong.

Kaodi

Hero
One other thing that seems kind of odd is that they describe her Eberron incarnation, the Spinner of Chaos, as one of the Lords of Dust. I wonder if that is a mix-up, or they deliberately put her below the Rajahs. Unless in DDO the Rajahs just are mistakenly referred to as the Lords of Dust.

Endur

First Post
So I think Eberron is not likely to be the core setting for 5e. I think its likely that FR will be the core setting, with Lolth being important.

variant

Adventurer
I have a feeling the sentence has zero substance backing it and is only off the wall musing from the writer. I doubt someone at IGN UK has gotten some inside information on the primary world for 5e.

Don't get the undies too twisted. ;) I said it's silly. In the context of FR, setting-jumping makes some sense (even if it's always been some of the most extravagant silliness of the setting). In the context of Eberron, it makes a lot less sense. It's a rather blatant attempt to capitalize on Lolth's and FR's popularity by jamming them into a very different setting. Eberron's Drow are a different beast than FR's, and have an awesomeness all their own. Instead of trying to realize their own awesomeness, they decided to import FR's. Which is a little narmed.

Of course, I'm of the radical opinion that just because someone thinks X is awesome is no reason to jam X where it doesn't belong.

Well, in the DDO expansion, it takes you to Faerun.

Argyle King

Legend
Maybe the 'core' 5E setting will be an amalgamation of settings. Take a huge chunk of FR; add a dash of Greyhawk here; a few pinches of Eberron there; stir in some ground up chunks of Ptolus, and heat over a new set of mechanics.

Drowbane

First Post
Lloth is/was RA Salvatore's spelling in the early Drizzt books. Reprints of those books have since reprinted the spelling as Lolth... in one of the books a character actually mentions it. In the reprint that part makes no sense as it has been edited to "Lolth" for both Lolth and Lloth (mentioned as the Menzoberranzan spelling of the word).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads