Lolth or Lloth

Will the real Drow goddess please stand up. What is the best choice?

Mercule

Adventurer
Thia Halmades said:
And I pronounce Drow, 'dray.' Nyah nyah.

Hmm... I actually like that variant pronounciation. Otherwise, it's drou, not droe.

I'd never heard of the Lloth thing before. Ever. Of course, I'm not prone to read either novels or sourcebooks focused on the Realms, so it's not surprising.

Lloth does make me think of Spanish, though. "All hail Yoth!"

Ranger REG

Explorer
seankreynolds said:
Not quite. RAS used Lloth in his Icewind Dale books and nobody caught the typo. Since then the books have pointed out, "Oh, Drizzt says Lloth, that must be the Menzo-variant of the name Lolth."

It's one of those "% liar" typos that continued for so long that people now think they're _supposed_ to be that way.
Still, is it truly that big of a deal?

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Henry said:
Besides, Venger pronounced it "Lolth, Demon Queen of Spiders," and that's good enough for me. :)

And here I was thinking I was the only one who would use that logic. Silly me :D

Of course I also call Drow 'Dark Elves' and Lolth 'Sertis' but what do i know...

Zander

Explorer
Yalius said:
Hmmm. Alternate pronunciations make me think I might have to switch to Lloth. In woleaian, my wife's native language, a "ll" is pronounced as a short "r" with a weak glottal stop at the end, and the "th" at the end is pronounced as "t" with another glottal stop. So "Lloth" would be pronounced "R.aat.", with a very short "r" sound at the beginning. I kind of like that.
DM: You find yourselves in front of the demon queen of spiders herself.
Yalius: All hail Queen Raat!
DM: She glares at you and polymorphs you into a spider. No save.
All the other players in rushed unison: All hail Queen Lolth!

Remove ads