Lolth or Lloth

Will the real Drow goddess please stand up. What is the best choice?

genshou

First Post
glass said:
Lolth (and Drow as in cow) in greyhawk, Lloth (and Drow as in go) in the Realms.

glass.
What glass said about the pronunciation of "drow" in FR. My best friend and I assume that "drow as in cow" came from a human mispronunciation, as "drow as in tow" sounds more elven.

I've always used Lolth/Lloth in the same way, saying that it was a language change along the lines of judgement/judgment or "nuclear vs. nukular". It's always worked well enough for me. Besides, if you practice, you can actually make Lolth be pronounced right (using both "l" sounds appropriately)! Lolth does not rhymy with both. It comes close, but you have to include that second letter L. It actually sounds fairly beautiful if done right. Certainly more beautiful than Araushnee! :mad:

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Lolth. Always has been, always will be for me.

I have done pretty well ignoring anything Salvatore has ever written up till now and I plan on continuing.

DM

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
isoChron said:
Isn't there a Llano estacado in Texas ? Doesn't sound that welsh to me :)
Anything with a double L in Texas is likely mexican/spanish and would be pronounced like a Y.
Except armadillo and Amarillo apparently... :p
So Lloth would be Yoth. :\

I pronounce it Lolth, but then in my homebrew dark elves are scarce, good and worship a mother goddess; so no Lolth for me. Besides, I hate spiders.

On top of that, 'loth is short for yugoloth and that's a good enough reason for me to stick with Lolth.

Lolth.

I wasn't even aware of the other spelling until I saw this thread. I might have seen it in print, but after years of seeing Lolth, I just read it that way, instead of Lloth.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Who ... cares.

Not like FR have to be like GH ... all the damn time. Even Dragonlance showed their deities have different names based on regions and cultures.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
John Cooper said:
I had heard it wasn't a pronunciation error, but rather the fact that for whatever reason, R. A. Salvatore wasn't allowed to use the name "Lolth" in his books, so he came up with a neat solution to bypass the limitation and still make it recognizable to the fans.

Not quite. RAS used Lloth in his Icewind Dale books and nobody caught the typo. Since then the books have pointed out, "Oh, Drizzt says Lloth, that must be the Menzo-variant of the name Lolth."

It's one of those "% liar" typos that continued for so long that people now think they're _supposed_ to be that way.

Remove ads