Lolth or Lloth

Will the real Drow goddess please stand up. What is the best choice?

I used to write Lloth, but then the Greyhawk people schooled me on the right way to do things and I mended my heathen ways.

As for pronunctiation, I say "Lloth" the Welsh way, or as close as I can get to it, since Welsh is really the only language where words start with double Ls. The first consonant is like the "hl" in "athlete" - tongue against your teeth and blow.

"Lolth" is really easy to say in comparison - either "L-all-th" or "Loth." I'm not sure which is better, but the former is less confusing vis a vis yugoloths.

Crothian

First Post
Grover Cleaveland said:
I used to write Lloth, but then the Greyhawk people schooled me on the right way to do things and I mended my heathen ways.

Wow, that's the best reason to use Lloth I've heard yet.

Agback said:
Lolth.

No-one can pronounce a voiceless 'l' anyway, except the Welsh.

Bwahaha! Having Welsh friends and living there taught me many things...including how to pronounce those insane things.

But yes, I go with Lolth because Lloth sounds completely different. The double L doesn't just make a hard L sound. Instead, its something completely different and indescribable without people hearing it. Or at least, I have no way to explain it in type.

Kuld

Explorer
“Lolth (once called Araushnee in the Forgotten Realms, and Lloth in the drow dialect), the Spider Queen, is the fictional goddess of drow elves thought up by Gary Gygax in the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy role-playing game and reappearing in many derived campaign settings, including the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk settings.” Per wikipedia dot com.

So, I guess Lloth is just used in the Drow dialect?

isoChron

First Post
Grover Cleaveland said:
As for pronunctiation, I say "Lloth" the Welsh way, or as close as I can get to it, since Welsh is really the only language where words start with double Ls. ...

Isn't there a Llano estacado in Texas ? Doesn't sound that welsh to me :)

Remove ads