• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lolth or Lloth

Will the real Drow goddess please stand up. What is the best choice?

Bardsandsages

First Post
Um, my answer would be "However the Spider Queen commands me to say it?"

Lolth (and Drow as in cow) in greyhawk, Lloth (and Drow as in go) in the Realms.

This makes perfect sense. It is obviously BOTH. Just like Athena and Minerva are the same goddess or Artemis and Diana. Same diety, different locations, different variants of the name.

Oh, and just for the record, the correct spelling of her name on the Realm of Earth is Hillary Clinton.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm a "Lolth" man myself, because the original just sounds more "right" to my ears. "Lloth" sounds too much like "loath" to me, and I don't want that much similarity in my names to their true natures, like "Thunk" for a barbarian, or "Blastum" for a mage. :)

Besides, Venger pronounced it "Lolth, Demon Queen of Spiders," and that's good enough for me. :)

RedShirtNo5

First Post
There's an article about designing pantheons in an early Dragon maganize where Greenwood discussed his selection of dieties for FR. I have a vague recollection that he deliberately misspelled a few names.

-RedShirt

diaglo

Adventurer
RedShirtNo5 said:
There's an article about designing pantheons in an early Dragon maganize where Greenwood discussed his selection of dieties for FR. I have a vague recollection that he deliberately misspelled a few names.

-RedShirt
Elminster instead of ElMunchkin.

Remove ads