Lolth or Lloth

Will the real Drow goddess please stand up. What is the best choice?

Warbringer

Explorer
You realise that in gaelic "Lloth" is pronounced "Cloth"..

Run for your lives the drow spider queen is looking for minions to "weave" her evil plots....

Staffan

Legend
Out of those two, definitely Lolth. But given that I run Eberron, there is no drow spider-godess around there, which makes things a lot better.

diaglo

Adventurer
Warbringer said:
You realise that in gaelic "Lloth" is pronounced "Cloth"..

Run for your lives the drow spider queen is looking for minions to "weave" her evil plots....
bah, Gary was playing with a new form of Roleplaying Latin. you take the first letter of the word and move it to the end and add a lisp. and then scramble the other letters.

so Lolth in real world American is Toll.

Gary was just inspired by Hemingway. who was inspired by John Donne "For whom the bell tolls. it tolls for thee."

No Man is an Island...

and also the same one Simon & Garfunkel used for the song. I am a Rock.

which is obviously used for the Yochlol in the module

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Lolth. That's what they called her when she was introduced, that's what she was called when my group first found out about these crazy new elves, that's what she was called when we kicked her butt all over the Demonweb (well, actually around the inside of her robo-spider, but that's a memory I prefer to block out).

kirinke

First Post
Bardsandsages said:
This makes perfect sense. It is obviously BOTH. Just like Athena and Minerva are the same goddess or Artemis and Diana. Same diety, different locations, different variants of the name.

Oh, and just for the record, the correct spelling of her name on the Realm of Earth is Hillary Clinton.

Naa. Hillary Clinton isn't all that evil. Her name doesn't send shivers down the spine of the sane and the insane.

The only true, correct avatar of Lolth in the Realm of Earth is..... Martha Stewart.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
isoChron said:
Isn't there a Llano estacado in Texas ? Doesn't sound that welsh to me :)

Yeah, careful with that 'only the Welsh', or the Lladró people might set their Attack Llamas on you!

-Hyp.

Yalius

First Post
Hmmm. Alternate pronunciations make me think I might have to switch to Lloth. In woleaian, my wife's native language, a "ll" is pronounced as a short "r" with a weak glottal stop at the end, and the "th" at the end is pronounced as "t" with another glottal stop. So "Lloth" would be pronounced "R.aat.", with a very short "r" sound at the beginning. I kind of like that.

Remove ads