D&D 5E Longswords

CapnZapp

Legend
When having to use point-buy, it's like I'm being given a task and that task is to make the best use of these 27 points that I can. Given that, I'm not going to waste any.
Sure, and I don't question that.

I'm just saying that a good solution to a point-buy problem is one that fixes... point-buy. Cheers!

Satyrn

First Post
Estoc is not a short sword. It's a middle way between longsword(medieval 2handed weapon and rapier)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoc
Aye.

I guess I didn't really explain myself in that earlier post. I need a light finesse sword for the swashbuckler. Calling that weapon a shortsword or scimitar doesn't make it feel like a fencing sword to me, so I'm just gonna use the statistics of a shortsword and call it an estoc. Not that anybody at my table will know what an estoc is (neither did I), but I can just google up an image of it for them and voila!

Arial Black

Adventurer
Aye.

I guess I didn't really explain myself in that earlier post. I need a light finesse sword for the swashbuckler. Calling that weapon a shortsword or scimitar doesn't make it feel like a fencing sword to me, so I'm just gonna use the statistics of a shortsword and call it an estoc. Not that anybody at my table will know what an estoc is (neither did I), but I can just google up an image of it for them and voila!

I know what you mean.

My solution was to re-fluff the 5E scimitar as a sabre; mainly single-edged, slight curve maybe, lighter and more agile than a longsword.

Sabres have more credibility as fencing weapons than scimitars have.

Problem solved. :D

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Aye.

Smallsword or Courtsword would work. It's a later period weapon, but has the advantage of being a very light, finesse weapon.

If you want something a little earlier--sidesword might work too.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's the rules people don't use that are supposed to counter-balance Dexterity.

Encumberance is directly tied to your Strength score, and 8 Strength can't carry much. Arrows, armor, gold, everything weighs something and it all adds up.

And then there's the fact players are only supposed to be able to recover have their lost ammo, and that's only if they take the time to do so.

Dex is *the* uber stat. The encumberance rules are sorely needed.

Also, watch this to increase happiness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI

CapnZapp

Legend
Electronic character sheets (automated ones at least) make it quite easy.
You're missing the point I'm afraid. The point is that a subsystem should not rely on an unrelated subsystem for balance.

If you feel encumbrance is unrelated to Dexterity balance, and many players do, it is tantamount to pointing to a flawed system to be told you need encumbrance to balance Dexterity. B-)

Besides, and unrelated to this, many players dislike bringing electronics to their roleplaying session. Being told you need automated character sheets or the game won't be both easy and balanced, would be tantamount to another flaw in the system. :p

Luckily I don't believe either flaw exists at all, since I remain firmly convinced a) no designer took Dexterity balance into account when the encumbrance section was written and b) any percieved flaw in Dexterity balance can and should be fixed without involving encumbrance :)

Satyrn

First Post
Smallsword or Courtsword would work. It's a later period weapon, but has the advantage of being a very light, finesse weapon.

If you want something a little earlier--sidesword might work too.
Thank you for those suggestions.

. . . I shouldn't admit this, but it took me several seconds to realize the first one didn't say shortsword:blush:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases