• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a free game system

shouit said:
Also another one, which FATE, aka Spirit of the Century, is based on is FUDGE.

www.fudgerpg.com

Fudge is now under the OGL as I recall, and the Fate game system is under the OGL as well. I'd recommed contacting the publishers of both of these to see what their licensing stipulations are. I'm not certain that either of these systems is really appropriate for what Orleron is looking to do.

One possibility might be True20. I know that they've changed their licensing fees (I belive they've been dropped), and since it started off as a split from d20, it might have some potential. But again, it's under the OGL and that might be a problem. I don't know, since I'm not a lawyer.

Nadaka

First Post
Orleron said:
Good points.

Let me ask you this... Can anyone make a computer game off of the d20 rules? I thought that d20 licenses only applied to pnp/tabletop?

Moreover, could someone legally make a d20-based online game system that made a profit?

I mean ultimately I would choose d20 for this project, but my impression was that's not doable if the intent is to sell the product.

[semantics] no you can not make a d20 videogame. The D20 System Trademark License clearly forbids any use in an "interactive game" with a specific definition of interactive game, that doesn't even involve a game. Note: my modern NPC generator is very close to violating this rule because it allows ability scores to be rolled.

However you can make a video game using the Open Content released under the OGL. The same open content used by d20 games. Just note that you will have to make the open content in your game clearly visible and publish it under OGL.[/semantics]

Orleron

First Post
After looking through the licenses more closely, that's exactly the conclusion I also came to just now. WoOT!!

We can do d20 as long as we don't SAY it's d20, and as long as we clearly denote what content is open.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads