• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a great sci-fi RPG

timtao

Explorer
Thanks for the link to "Star Wars without Jedis", Ferret! That cleaves pretty close to what I'm looking for. I definitely want "grim" over funny. I don't want any Ewoks or Jar-Jar freakin' Binks. Also, I need to gut the Empire from Star Wars. But, that's a setting issue I will be handling myself. What I want from the Star Wars setting is the wide variety of weapons, vehicles, aliens, worlds. That will support the high-flying derring-do I want my players to experience.

timtao

Explorer
I'm seeing a lot of love for Savage Worlds, Starblazer and Star Frontiers. I'll have to check those out - also, WEG's d6 space (which I am reading right now in the form of the 2nd Edition Star Wars rules). I was glad to find out the d6 space is available as a download, b/c otherwise I only have 1 copy of the rules and none to give to my players.

A this point, it looks like I might be doing a bit of a mash-up of two or more rules systems. We'll see.

Thanks again for all your input. You guys rock.

Vicente

Explorer
I would go with Alternity. The system is skill based and they matter a lot, the rules are pretty simple, and I like a lot how the Ordinary/Good/Amazing mechanic works to resolve actions and their outcomes.

And Star*Drive is a very nice setting. It's also pretty easy and cheap to get the core books.

Hussar

Legend
Just to narrow things down a bit more, when you say "Space Opera", exactly what do you mean? Are we talking Star Wars, Babylon 5 and Golden Age SF, or do you mean newer space opera like Charles Stross and Alastair Reynolds? How do you feel about post-humanism and that sort of thing?

If it's the latter, then something like Sufficiently Advanced - 1KM1KT fits the bill very nicely. It does post-humanist space opera very, very well.

Additionally, Three Sixteen - BoxNinja | DriveThruRPG.com 3:16 Carnage Among the Stars is a very nice rules light approach to a more Starship Troopers kind of SF.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Thanks for the StarFrontiers links, Greylord!

Yup - and for those that like a little more crunch, the Zebulon's Guide supplement makes the game a full-on skill-based system with task resolution being a quick look-up using a table similar to the one used by Marvel Superheroes.

I'll second the recommendation to go look at starfrontiersman - especially since they also have a "Gamma Dawn" rules supplement so you can add mutants a la Gamma World to your standard Star Frontiers game.

Not to mention the Star Frontiersman magazine is top-notch.

Remove ads