ZEITGEIST Looking for a writer for a ZEITGEIST setting book

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We’re finally going to make a hardcover ZEITGEIST setting book (and a stand alone WOIN-powered ZEITGEIST RPG).

For that we need a writer! This is a big job for the right person - a compilation of existing setting material throughout 13 adventures and two guides. This is, of course, a paid gig.

Are you reliable, familiar with ZEITGEIST and either 5E or WOIN? Ready to tackle a sizeable project? Let me know!

NoodleLeith

Villager
Hey Morrus!
I'm a writer with a BA in Creative Writing currently looking for work, my portfolio can be found here - Home | Leith Brownlee
I have written several Call of Cthulhu 7e modules, as well as proofed and edited a number of 5e modules. I am very familiar with 5e as a system, however not so much with ZEITGEIST. Currently I'm out of work so I have the time and energy to put into such a large project.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It probably does need somebody intimidate my familiar with ZEITGEIST. It’s a very complex setting.

I do not feel particularly qualified to write a full-fledged setting book, but I am willing to offer what assistance I can, free of charge. I have studied the Zeitgeist adventure path extensively and have discussed it heavily in-depth with others; I feel as though I could write a thesis on Zeitgeist by this point.

arkwright

Explorer
Ditto. I am currently GMing the Zeitgeist AP, we are on Book 12. I consider myself terribly well versed in the setting and lore- in the adventures, in the player's guide, and the contradictions between the two. I'd be very happy to be a resource for any professional writer who takes this project on.

I'd also be a touch curious as to whether this would be an opportunity to flesh out certain areas of the setting; the origins of the Demonocracy and the Fey Titans, if there is anything more to Ingatan and Hewanharimau, more on the Vekeshi Mystics, more on the Dreaming and countries other than Risur, that sort of thing.

Arkwright above is my GM. I can attest to the fact that the two of us have picked apart the setting in a heavily in-depth manner, and I do mean picked apart. I am confident that both of us could serve as a useful resource to someone writing a full-on Zeitgeist setting book.

NoodleLeith

Villager
It probably does need somebody intimidate my familiar with ZEITGEIST. It’s a very complex setting.
It's understandable that you would want someone more acquainted with the books, and obviously if I was to write this I would do extensive research, but that would also only increase the scope of the project. Hopefully you find someone perfect for the role!

I must inquire: is this setting guide supposed to be pre-adventure-path, or post-adventure-path? Because the post-adventure-path setting is completely unrecognizable from the pre-adventure-path state of the world.

The events of the adventure path completely shake up the world into a vastly reformed state: politically, culturally, religiously, metaphysically, cosmologically. Effectively, any setting guide would be heavily invalidated by the adventure path itself.

The Zeitgeist world is very different from, say, Paizo's Golarion. Over in Golarion, each adventure path is much smaller in scope and usually changes the status quo for only a single nation or region. But Zeitgeist's world was was tailor-made for its adventure path, which completely wrecks the world's status quo and replaces it with something else entirely. That would never, ever fly in, say, Golarion. And that is one of Zeitgeist's strengths: allowing the PCs to make vast, sweeping changes on the grandest of scales.

What is the purpose of the setting book, then? The best niche I can think of for a setting book is supplementary material for people running the adventure path, so that GMs are better equipped to run side stories and expand on various plotlines that the adventure path is terribly lacking in detail on (and the adventure path does genuinely miss out on a vast swath of material). Effectively, such a setting book would have to be divided between player-friendly material, useful for coming up with backstories, and GM-only material, for adding further detail to the adventure path.

Last edited:

arkwright

Explorer
I think you would effectively need a big red divider between 'Player Material' and 'for GM's eyes only', which would present a formatting challenge. You might even need to include 'turn to page 3XX for GM detail' notes throughout the player section.

This is true. It is probably the best way to go about a setting book tailored towards accompanying Zeitgeist.

A setting book intended for a campaign in which the adventure path never happens, though, is another matter altogether.

What is the role of Ryan Nock in all of this? If this is Ryan Nock's setting, should he not be the one writing this book?

Remove ads