Looking for advice from parents: Gaming with baby

dougmander

Explorer
Our daughter arrived on Valentine's Day this year, and we haven't gamed since. Too tired, too busy. Last game we played was the Northern Crown game at Boston ENWorld Game Day back in January. We are going through serious game withdrawal!

KenSeg

First Post
Our gaming group consists of two couples with three kids between us. We just took it in stride, taking breaks when the kids need changing or a little parent time. Erin, the first born of our friends, spent many an hour rocking on my shoulder while we played. I still shudder in terror at the thought of watching the Sea Ponies with the two girls later on. :confused: I wouln'dt trade the time I spent with the two girls for anything. They are the daughters I never had. Erin just graduated from high school and her "uncle" Ken and "aunt" Donna were smiling through the tears of pride.

We live about 30 miles apart and generally have always played at the DMs house. Luckily my parents live in the same town as my wife and I and grandma loves to babysit. She looks forward to our Saturday games as that means that she gets to spend time with her grandson. I know exactly how lucky I am! :D

-KenSeg
Gaming since 1978

Mercule said:
A lot of it is the attitude of the parents.
Quoted for truth. I know a lot of parents that let their kids run the show, so to speak, rather than themselves. Although that's more properly a tangent for another off-topic thread, I suppose. But it does factor in. If you're going to be one of those kinds of parents that hover over your baby like a little helicopter, jumping up whenever he (she?) rolls over or makes any peep, then gaming will be much more difficult for you. My sister-in-law and her husband were very much like that; they couldn't do anything until, ironically, they had their second (and then their third) and realized that they simply couldn't keep up that heightened sense of awareness for that many kids, and they just changed their attitude about them.

My suggestion is take a break for two or three months following the birth, and then get right into it again. As many have said, babies are much easier than toddlers, although a cholicky (sic?) baby may be difficult for a few months until it sorts itself out. If you do a good job of "training" your baby into a regular schedule, that will make playing easier.

Of course, the best schedule (from our experience) is one in which the baby is kept awake in the evening--that means that he (she?) will be all that much faster in sleeping more at night versus during the day. Since evening is also the best option for when to play D&D, that may be a conflict. It would have been for us, anyway.

FYI: our gaming group's in a state of flux in terms of members the last few months, but a few months ago we were four dads with I think 12 kids between us. Only two that could properly be called babies, though--both toddlers now. We'll go way down from that--two of the fathers (of three kids each, IIRC) have been busy enough to temporarily drop out and they're being replaced by guys that don't have any kids. Our children per capita in our group will drop in half.

Last edited:

My wife and I have four kids ages 3, 7, 9, and 13. When she worked weekends, I would take the kids to the local game store to game, keeping the littlest in her carseat to sleep (she was 1 then). When my wife wanted to start playing, we moved the game to our house, and the 13-year-old is now in charge of keeping her sisters out of our hair. We take a break for dinner, and when the kids go to bed, but otherwise it's not too bad. The littlest one wants to be held from time to time by either mommy or daddy, but we just keep right on gaming while we bounce her on our knee.

We would never consider taking all the kids to someone else's house, and our group has been very understanding about coming to ours, as they want both of us to play.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Joshua Dyal said:
Quoted for truth. I know a lot of parents that let their kids run the show, so to speak, rather than themselves. Although that's more properly a tangent for another off-topic thread, I suppose.

Not necessarily. The OP is, after all, looking for parenting advice, and there are lots of good suggestions herein.

Here's another, spinning off of Joshua's observation: You are the parent. The child is the child. The parent is in charge. Now, admittedly, there is little point in explaining this to a newborn, but it still merits mentioning.

As a teacher with nine years of experience, I've never met a "problem child" who understood that the parents rather than the child was the boss.

When my children hit the "terrible twos," did they tear up my books, eat my dice, et cetera? Certainly not. My books (any of them - including the comic books), my dice, et cetera, are off-limits to everyone unless I say otherwise. It took constant vigilance, a lot of time spent out, and a few hand slaps to make this point, but the point was made.

My children are now 7 and 8. Game day from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. is at my house every other Saturday, and has been for the past few years. My children are almost never a problem during that time...unless one of us gamers starts to goof off with them.

So, New Dad and New Mom, in addition to everything else mentioned herein: You are the parent. You are in charge. Believe it. Live it. It pays off in the long run.

:D

Expect a break for the first few months

After my son was born, I didn't game at all for the first three months. He was just too difficult and my wife was just too exhausted for me to leave at home (or have company over). Plus, my wife was going a little stir-crazy being home with the baby all day. But things gradually got better, and by 6 months, the little fellow was sleeping through the night. And my wife was back at work, so she didn't mind the thought of me taking off for a night.

Now the little guy is 13 months and into everything. Games are at my place (weekly session), but we don't really get started until after he goes to sleep (7-7:30 pm). He's just too cute and distracting to play around!

Mark Chance said:
Here's another, spinning off of Joshua's observation: You are the parent. The child is the child. The parent is in charge. Now, admittedly, there is little point in explaining this to a newborn, but it still merits mentioning.
There is little point in explaining that to newborns, but ironically, there's plenty of parents that need that explanation, and the implications thereof. :)

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Agreed about "the parent is the parent."

I usually try to give warnings before "laying the smack down" (read: putting the child in time out/"naughty corner") the first time. I believe the kids need to know what the rules are before they are punished, rather than after; otherwise punishment seems arbitrary. The very first time my son hit my daughter, he received a warning (and vice versa). Now, they don't get warnings - you hit your sibling, you're off to time out.

I've also tried to be big on showing love while punishing. That may sound weird, but here's an example - my son hits his sister. I come to take him to time out and he starts crying "I don't want to go to the corner! I love you daddy!" Of course, he's just trying to weasel out of his punishment, so I tell him, "I love you, too - which is why I wish you hadn't chosen to hit your sister and receive the punishment that goes with it. I don't like putting you in the corner, but you know the rules, and I can't break the rules for you." I left him in the corner for a couple of minutes, then came and gave him a hug and said, "I love you, but I don't love hitting. Please go give your sister a hug and say you're sorry."

I try very hard to dissociate my dislike of the behavior from my love for the child. I always say the behavior is bad, not the child. ("Hitting is bad" instead of "you're a bad boy for hitting.") I always tell my children I love them, both when they're acting well and when they're acting badly. I praise the good behavior, too ("Sharing is good, thank you for doing it.") but again never make love contingent on behavior.

My kids aren't perfect, but they use "please" and "thank you" and "you're welcome" a lot. When one of them gets a cookie, drink of juice, or whatever, they always want two. You give my daughter a cookie and she'll say, "one for Nathaniel" - give my son a cookie and he'll say, "I need one for Leilani, too, please." And they actually DO share and watch out for each other that way! :)

Of course, my daughter, being two, is prone to fits when the world doesn't work the way she wants (when PBS has a show on that she likes and the show ends - say, "Bob the Builder" - she freaks out). She's also a very messy girl... we joke that she doesn't just eat her food, she wants it to be a five-senses experience... she loves to play and dig in the dirt... she loves playdough, and especially loves squishing it in her fingers and then pulling it into a million little bits (our son, by contrast, is a neat freak who could eat with a fork with not a crumb spilled by the time he was 18 months and who hates getting dirty). So she's a handful - not because she's ill-behaved, but because if you turn your back on her for even a minute, she'll have dissected something. She exhibits the "I have to tear it down to its constituent parts to understand how it works" curiosity (and I don't want to discourage that; she's not destryoing just to destroy but she does check out how things work and occasionally tries to put them back together - besides, I'm somewhat the same myself). She also has a very short attention span/patience, while my son can lock into a task for hours (literally; while his interests are a little more diverse now, from the time he was about 10 months until he was almost 3 years, he spent at least four hours a day shooting baskets on a little hoop set we got him when he started grabbing my basketballs and trying to dribble them - he's already able to dribble a full-size basketball up and down a regulation court with no double-dribbling, and can pass and shoot the full-size ball from about 10 feet away on a 6-foot hoop; I should note we aren't requiring him to play - I had little athletic aspiration myself and am making very sure not to project any I do have onto my kids and becoming a "bad sports parent" - he just loves the game, as he grabs his ball from his toybox amid scores of other toys with no prompting and entertains himself for hours on end).

So my daughter has to be watched like a hawk, not because she's malicious, but because of her personality... she'll zoom from place to place dissecting everything (though she knows not to touch my RPG bookshelf)... we call her our little tasmanian devil, because she's just a little tornado of energy. My older son... well, give him a computer or a basketball and hoop or paper and pencils, and he's okay to be left alone for an hour or so. My youngest son is still in the "eats, poops, and spits up" phase, so even if he wanted to get into trouble when we leave him alone, he's as yet physically incapable of doing so. ;)

One important thing to keep in mind, though... no two children are alike. What works for Child A may not necessarily work for Child B. And don't associate unruly children with bad parenting - there are some occasions where the parents have tried six ways to Sunday and nothing works. In other words, I believe bad parenting leads to unruly children, but the converse is not true. I'm discovering that with my own kids - what worked for my oldest son doesn't always work with my daughter (and vice versa). So take as many suggestions as you can that fit with your parenting philosophy, try them out, and don't be afraid to discard the ones that don't work with your child just because "so-and-so said this worked great with THEIR kid."

--The Sigil

Last edited:

Dremmen

First Post
Harmon said:
The wife and I are expecting our first in Feb/Mar, so this is a good time for us to start thinking about it.

I know that a kid will change our gaming lives and might well end it, so any kind of suggestions beyond the ones displayed here would really help.

For nonparents, the following might be a bit..gross

you have been warned.

Breastfeeding is one of the biggest issues we had to contend with once we started gaming after the baby was born. It meant my wife had to leave the gaming table for half an hour or more. Start using a good breast pump early and get the baby used to the bottle. This will also save on sanity as your wife can take a break while you feed the baby from bottle. At the table we usually put the baby on the swing and that gives us a good 3 - 4 hours of gaming peace. After that either my wife or I hold the baby, and if need be, feed whilst we play - not hard to do from a bottle. On good days, the only times we have to walk away from the game is to change her diaper, and that's every few hours and takes five minutes.

Dremmen said:
Breastfeeding is one of the biggest issues we had to contend with once we started gaming after the baby was born. It meant my wife had to leave the gaming table for half an hour or more.

Thank goodness she left the table!

I've met others - thankfully not while gaming! - who don't.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases