D&D 5E Looking for best 3rd party adventures for 5ed

balam_br

Explorer
Hello guys... i know its probably a common thread here but i couldnt find anything from 2019 or newer... Im gonna GM in the quarantine and im looking for good low level adventure (2-5) to use.... i want something with some roleplay, exploration and combat... would appreciate indications... thanks in advance.

How intense of an adventure are you in the market for? ZEITGEIST's second adventure - The Dying Skyseer, goes from about 3rd to 5th level, and involves a murder mystery in a city with several ongoing plot threads that interweave on the way to the climax.

This review is from the Pathfinder version, but there's a 5E version which you can get at DriveThruRPG or by subscribing to EN5ider. In fact, EN5ider has a lot of material for 5E.

The Dying Skyseer, an adventure in the Zeitgeist adventure path by EN Publishing, cannot be called an adventure and hereby I'll dub it an “Experience”. What you have in these 90+ pages mixed between beautifully drawn works of art, well crafted maps with minute detail, and a script that reads out of a mystery novel transcends normal gaming. This is something different all together.

This is the second part of the adventure path ... with the party joining up with the Risuri Homeland Constabulary (think of them as Pinkertons from the Old West) to discover why this young girl was fatally shot in a random act of violence. The party goes off on multiple threads all woven together with NPCs that have motives and reasons behind each of them, lists of plot points to discuss for the place in questions, mood settings that you as the DM can utilize to put yourself in the right frame to ratchet up the tension and create the right setting for the Experience. The Experience starts there and doesn't let you go as you run around the city chasing after the bad guys on boat, horse, carriage, over roof tops, through cairns, hills full of spirits, inside factories, and into the homes of the elite in the city of Flint. Your PCs are living inside an Experience much like they would if they were put in a season of “24”, if you can picture your players enjoying that type of murder-mystery intrigue then they will enjoy this Experience.

Are there downfalls or some things to worry about with this adventure? Yes, and it comes down to the DM being prepared. There is enough information in these pages for you to run each encounter, NPC, area with all the information most PCs would ask or do. Ryan Nock has thought up nearly every scenario where if your PCs can think it, there's an easy answer for you as the DM to provide it. Of course your PCs will Zig when you want them to Zag, and the background information is vast enough to allow for wiggle room as they work their way through the Experience. If the DM hasn't read all the finer points, looked over the map, studied the mood and motives of the encounter a significant amount of mood and feel is lost. Be on your “A” game as you will need it here.

With all this plot is there combat? Of course there is. Factory battles with fire going off around you, dark combat on the seas, chases on land that end up on the rooftops, warehouse battles with mass combat. Those of you like me who have PCs that thrive on combat will get their fix as the blend between Combat vs. Skill checks is very even and you can easily bluff, lie, cheat, or intimidate your way out (or into!) situations.

In closing, the Experience of The Dying Skyseer reads like a Tom Clancy or Vince Flynn novel. You are the detectives hunting down the death of a common girl who was embroiled in a conspiracy larger than any imaginable for a low level party. Through clever skill usage, crafted and interesting combat, and a story that inspires the imagination, The Dying Skyseer hits every note a good Adventure needs.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Have you tried either the Starter Set or Essentials Kit? Both have excellent low level adventures that meet your criteria and both are cheap/excellent value.

EDIT: if you insist on 3rd party, I recommend the increasingly misnamed Complete Adventures of MT Black. There lots of Tier 1 and 2 stuff in there and it's all great. It's been out since 2017 and is still a top seller for Tier 1 content.

Last edited:

Adventure A Week puts out solid content on a regular basis. Most of it is sized in the old module size format and comes in series of a few modules you can put together into longer campaigns. The Stoneholme series is what I'm familiar with, but that's 2018 I think.

The www.DMsGuild.com has tons of stuff, but you will have to do your research to find what you want. Some stuff on there is truly exceptional, and some isn't worth the being free.

Then don't forget ENWorld's own stuff they publish. Never read any of it so all I can say its that's its available.

Weiley31

Legend
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and mention City of Brass by Frog God Games.

I hear it's pretty good and Frog God Games does put out some quality products.

I also recommend both Jungle Tomb of The Mummy Queen and An Occurrence at Howling Crater from Planet X Games. Good stuff.

Mist of Akuma is another recommendation as well. A very nice setting that is interesting.

Odyssey of The Dragon Lords is basically a "Bioware RPG" done in a 5E pen and paper format. Even has companion NPCs, if ya decide to use em like that, to make up your Bioware RPG party supposedly.

Alot people seem to enjoy the Midgard campaign setting and it's adventures. I totally wanna get Courts of The Shadow Fey.

Remove ads